• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril for Gut Statis

Stator

Warren Veteran
Lilly had a short episode of gut statis yesterday. The vet gave her a full checkup and couldn't find any cause, I think it might have been because of a change of hay and her being a fussy eater :roll:. Anyway, the vet gave her the usual gut stimulant Metaclopromide and a Baytril injection too. Very quickly she picked up and was eating again within an hour or two. She's seemed find since then. The vet also gave me Baytril to administer for 10 days, but I was surprised by this.

Do you think it's necessary to continue with the Baytril twice a day for 10 days? It seems like a very long course and I think she has recovered fine just because of the Metaclopromide.

I know in general you should complete a course of anti-biotics but I don't think there is anything to indicate she has any kind of infection that would actually be treated by it.

Just interested in your thoughts.....

Alvin was given baytril and a 5 day course when he had stasis early on, his temp was slightly raised so they gave it incase infection somewhere inside had caused it. and yes i gave the complete course that was prescribed :D

This is what I find so odd about many Vets. They seem fine about giving an abx even if there is no apparent evidence of bacterial infection involved in the GI stasis yet they fail to give analgesia :?

When treating GI stasis my vet would not routinely give an abx without evidence of bacterial infection.

This is what I find so odd about many Vets. They seem fine about giving an abx even if there is no apparent evidence of bacterial infection involved in the GI stasis yet they fail to give analgesia :?

When treating GI stasis my vet would not routinely give an abx without evidence of bacterial infection.

That is the same with my vet when Jims has statis,antibiotics upset the gut flora so is best not to use them unless needed. Did your vet say why he prescribed antibiotics?

P.S Jane your Jack was gorgeous!! :love:

so a high temp isnt an indication of infection then :?

altho im not surprised if my vet did get it wrong with alvin he is the :censored: who missed pearls enlarged heart :evil::evil::evil:

so a high temp isnt an indication of infection then :?

altho im not surprised if my vet did get it wrong with alvin he is the :censored: who missed pearls enlarged heart :evil::evil::evil:

A high temperature might well indicate infection. In my case though there were no signs of infection, it just seems to be their routine course of treatment for gut statis. Last time though, when Wally had it they only told me to do it for 3 more days (4 total). That was a different vet at the same practice.

A high temperature might well indicate infection. In my case though there were no signs of infection, it just seems to be their routine course of treatment for gut statis. Last time though, when Wally had it they only told me to do it for 3 more days (4 total). That was a different vet at the same practice.

oooh i see why your confused then. :?

i probably wouldnt bother then if the temp was normal, knowing my luck tho id pick the one time there was really a problem and i should have done as i was told :oops::oops:

Never been given Baytril for stasis - unless there was some positive evidence that there was an infection as well.

Well I forgot this morning, so think I'm just going to stop it. Seems a bit of a waste of Baytril and money, but she is very lively as ever and shows no signs of anything wrong with her at all.

Back