• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feel guilty

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
I haven't got a proper garden, just a bit of land out frontm, which is right next to a main road.

Well I really would love my buns to be able to go outside, but in all honesty out fron its just too noisy with traffic and not safe enough :cry:

Is it cruel they never really get to go out?

I take them to my mums garden who lives up the road from me sometimes but they hate travelling and takes them a while to calm down :cry:

They have their own room my bun babes, and when I am in they basically get run of the house, Bobby comes downstairs, Carlo hates it downstairs so chooses to free range in my room, the bathroom and his room.

I just feel guilty especially when I see all your lovely photos of your buns free ranging round the garden :cry:

I really want to move TBH so I can have a garden and build a run for them, but I can't see that happening for a few years yet.

My bunnies seem happy to me inside... but I just don't have much to compare it to and want to know if its a bit cruel?

Don't be silly - it's not cruel - They've probably got more space to play in than most outdoor buns. Carlo loved indoor playtime with us - he kept escaping from the pen to explore the rest of the dining room :roll: & he's very friendly to humans so I'm quite sure loves being around you.
(And if there were any doubts, Jill wouldn't have homed Carlo to you)

If you think they're missing out, why not try growing some grass or other bunny treats in trays - they can sit on them or nibble as they choose.

They will be fine, loads of rabbits don't get to go outside, my lot live in the shed and don't get to go outside, it's like having a shed full of house bunnies. They get fresh greens, hay food water sunlight etc etc etc and are perfectly happy. My garden is not secure enough for the rabbits to be outside, i have to outside and i have had to make their hutch like fort knox! It's even hard for me to get into because of the wildlife up here which would like to munch my babys, not including Daisy one of our dogs.
In the shed they are dry and warm in winter, cool in summer and i can spend much more time with them inside the shed than i ever could when they were in hutch and run combos, plus i find climbing in and out of hutches very very difficult!

Thanks Kate and Phil, :D I just got a bit upset the other day as Bobby was sat by the door looking all mournful.. I wanna go out mum :cry:

Thing is its really too dangerous out there for her..

Carlo seems happy just to stay in his room mainly doesn't follow Bobby downstairs:?
That has made me feel better though so thanks, Ian keeps telling me that they are lucky rabbits as I treat them better than him :oops:

when i first got alvin i used to force him out in a run, he hated it, so then i ditched the run and just made it so he could go out through the open door again 5 mins of outside and he was back under the sofa and ignored outside. ive never felt any guilt at moving them upstairs and therefore taking the option of outside away. sorry you feel cruel hun, but i dont think you are at all, taking away free range house and putting them into a tiny run in a garden would be crueller i think, they would have no idea why they have suddenly been plonked into a scary new place in a cage, unless its free range garden time its not worth thier stress i reakon.

when i first got alvin i used to force him out in a run, he hated it, so then i ditched the run and just made it so he could go out through the open door again 5 mins of outside and he was back under the sofa and ignored outside. ive never felt any guilt at moving them upstairs and therefore taking the option of outside away. sorry you feel cruel hun, but i dont think you are at all, taking away free range house and putting them into a tiny run in a garden would be crueller i think, they would have no idea why they have suddenly been plonked into a scary new place in a cage, unless its free range garden time its not worth thier stress i reakon.

Yeah I think your right. They have a big window in their room its got loadss of daylight and the window is always open so they get the breeze too.. Actually they have the better bedroom come to think of it.. maybe I should live in the shed :lol:

Bring them to grass parks instead. They need to have at least time to stretch their muscles. Twice a week would be the most ideal time for them to stretch their muscles as one article states. I really really love rabbits and I want them to survive longer. Rabbits are very lovely pets and cannot wait to get a pair again.

Bring them to grass parks instead. They need to have at least time to stretch their muscles. Twice a week would be the most ideal time for them to stretch their muscles as one article states. I really really love rabbits and I want them to survive longer. Rabbits are very lovely pets and cannot wait to get a pair again.

The parks in Coventry aren't really that suitable to be honest and they really hate car travel.

Mums is just round the corner so will prob pop round again tonight I take their fold away enclosure with me:)

They do run around the house at some amazing speeds and I only shut their bedroom door at night when I'm asleep otherwise I would get no sleep with them scratching at my door :lol:

If they have a lot of space to run around in the house then they will be getting plenty of exercise.

You can always grow grass in seed trays for them, which I'm sure they'd enjoy.

They sound like very lucky bunnies to me!:wave:

If they have a lot of space to run around in the house then they will be getting plenty of exercise.

You can always grow grass in seed trays for them, which I'm sure they'd enjoy.

They sound like very lucky bunnies to me!:wave:

Thanks hun means a lot, your lot are very lucky in my eyes too :love:

If it the lack of grass you are worried about then I would grow some in a tray of something. But just think of all the bunnies in tiny hutches outside a garden where they are litterally inches from the grass but cant get to it, to eat or have exercise. You bunnies are loved and looked after thats the main thing!!

If it the lack of grass you are worried about then I would grow some in a tray of something. But just think of all the bunnies in tiny hutches outside a garden where they are litterally inches from the grass but cant get to it, to eat or have exercise. You bunnies are loved and looked after thats the main thing!!

Yeah was the grass a bit and just being able to smell the air and have a dig around, I am gonna get some soil as well as grass so they can have a dig.. (only in their own room tho, have given up my house to hay, but soil is another thing :lol:

Yeah was the grass a bit and just being able to smell the air and have a dig around, I am gonna get some soil as well as grass so they can have a dig.. (only in their own room tho, have given up my house to hay, but soil is another thing :lol:

Yeah dirt is a bit different! :lol:

Louie does have the opportunity to go in the garden when someone is home, which most days is most of the time. I do like him to be able to go out but he probably spends an hour at most outside, even when the door is open all day. He definately prefers indoors.

Don't feel guilty :D:wave:

Cool well I watched them last night and they literally have taken over my home and are very happy about it!:lol:

Bobby lies in front of the telly watching Eastenders while Carlo was redocorating my bedroom :shock:

Back