• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vibes for Sherpa, teeth and all sorts of issues

Sherpa

Warren Scout
i hope this is in the right section? sorry if it isnt.
i just need some Vibes for my old boy Sherpa.
a quick history, last november he had xrays as his tear ducts were constantly watering. we didnt find a reason bit we did see th state of his teeth. his lower incisors have stopped growing, causing his upper to grow more. this n effect is changing his eating and causing his molars to misalign causing spikes etc. we also saw that all of his tooth roots are sitting at the edge of him skull and that abcesses wernt far off.
about 3 months ago i had to put him under GA for a dental. it was horrible. the dental was finished at 11am and he dint stop thrashing and spinning and falling over till about 5pm :( it broke my heart to see him like that and he wasnt right for at least 24hours after that. i viwed not to put him through a GA again and that if his teeth were ever bad i would have to make a decision.
another thing is that he also has spinal arthritis and possible kidney issues as well as being a pasturella sufferer.
now i have been keeping a close eye on him and about a week ago he started to struggle wth pellets again. i started mixing him up porrige and recovery food and he has been happy with that-and he has still been trying to eat pellets.
however this morning was the first time that i checked on him and the bowls were still full, he has eaten tiny amounts of it, but im worried he is not getting enough in
taking him to work with me today so the vets can have a look at him teeth and so i cn weigh him. he was only 2.4kg last time (about a month ago)

anyway, i just need vibes, im worried and scared he will be worse than i think. and Sherpa is so special to me. he is the last surviving rabbit that me and my mum owned together (my mum passed away 5 years ago) and he has been with me through thick and thin.
so super vibes please. he is my special little boy and i hope im just being paranoid.

I know how worried you must be, I can't give any advice I'm afraid but I can send you lots of vibes for your special bun. I really do hope all goes well. Thinking of you.

I've only just seen this - huge vibes for Sherpa, he is a stunning bunny! I hope you got on ok at the vets yesterday? xx

thanks all for the vibes.
he got on quite well, he has actually put on about 200g, so that goodness for porridge!!!
the vet looked at his teeth and can see that the molars are very long, but cannot see any damage or spikes etc. he is to go back in 2 weeks to check them again.
he thanked me by poo-ing ALL over the work flat yesterday :roll::lol:

cause he was on his own i got to see how much he was eating though, i mix up a small dish (like a cat dish) of porridge and recovery food for him and id say he eats about 1/4 to 1/2 depending on what mood he is in.
which isnt much at all, especially since he is refusing to eat other food. but overall he seems quite content, and thats what i always wanted for him.
keep the vibes coming though, im going to have a nervy 2 weeks ahead before the next check now!
they know how to make you panic dont they!!!

Back