• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is putting a lead on a rabbit cruel?

Harri

New Kit
i really want to do it, i tried with my last rabbit, she was fine with it for an hour but then we vowed never to do it again with her coz she escaped!
but benny seems so much more friendly, and i am really wanting to see if he minds a lead.
but i just wanted to know if anyone has had a sucess with leading their rabbit :)

Why do you really want to do it, is it the only way of letting your bunny go round the garden? I don't think it is cruel always, providing it is not all the time and the rabbit is not uncomfortable with handling, it must be on the rabbits terms though, they lead and you follow - there should be no pulling whatsoever on your part - even when it's time to go in - it should be as if there is no lead - you need to use other techniques to get the rabbit in - I don't like them if they are used as a control device, it's then counterproductive in rabbits I think, it becomes stressful which as we know is not good for them.:wave:

a couple of my buns don't mind the lead, if I'm taking them out the back I pop it on to let them run about outside the run, but I have a stretchy lead on so they can have more room to run about and so I'm never pulling on them :), but some of my buns have never took to it so I don't put one on them, it just depends on the bun I suppose :)

Personally I find the thought of using leads on rabbits (and guineapigs) very odd. Rabbits like to choose where they want to run, they like to choose where and when they want to hide; tethering them must inhibit a variety of natural behaviours. They are not dogs.

Personally I find the thought of using leads on rabbits (and guineapigs) very odd. Rabbits like to choose where they want to run, they like to choose where and when they want to hide; tethering them must inhibit a variety of natural behaviours. They are not dogs.

^^^^^^^^^^
my opinion too :)

no its not cruel if the rabbit enjoy it. As VickiP said it should be like there is no lead at all, no pulling. If there is no pulling it cannot escape. Having them on a lead can be a great way to let them have extra exercise and have a wee look about. Some rabbits like it others dont.

I guess there must be some rabbits who tolerate the whole harness/lead thing.......but theres only one way to find out if they will tolerate it or not isn't there and that is to try it on them and see if they go crazy or not......

Surely when we have responsibility for animals we are required to allow the animals to exhibit behaviours that are natural to them, and being 'taken for walks' is not one of them.

If the rabbit appears to 'enjoy' being on a harness and lead then how much more would it enjoy being able to run freely.

Am I in a :evil: mood today ?! :lol:

I really think that there is the potential to forget that just because Pet Rabbits have been domesticated they do still retain their basic instincts of being creatures of prey. They need to be able to behave on instinct and they cannot possibly do this when harnessed, no matter how slack the lead.

As said previously, Rabbits are not dogs and should not be treated as such.

But putting a rabbit on a lead is not nessicarly treating it like a dog. You dont take the rabbit for a walk. The rabbit hops about normally while you follow, its for use in a less secure area which they would not be trusted to freerange in, so say if the rabbit trys to hop out under a fence you can prevent it from escaping.
Rabbits who enjoy the harness run about investigating new things and even some buns binky.

But putting a rabbit on a lead is not nessicarly treating it like a dog. You dont take the rabbit for a walk. The rabbit hops about normally while you follow, its for use in a less secure area which they would not be trusted to freerange in, so say if the rabbit trys to hop out under a fence you can prevent it from escaping.
Rabbits who enjoy the harness run about investigating new things and even some buns binky.

I agree with this. ^^

It obviously depends on the bunny too. Some will like it - others wont.

my Xander binkys all over the place when he is on the lead out the back lol :lol::lol:, think its because he can get to new places which he never gets to in the run

I don't necessarily think it's cruel, but I have a harness and lead that I stopped using, because I found the lead kept ending up underneath the rabbits which could obviously lead to a serious injury. I wouldn't use one again personally.

If you're confident and happy using it then I think it's ok, but I never think a rabbit on a harness will be as happy as a free ranging rabbit. That's just my opinion though :wave:

some buns are fine with it, But the thought of a rabbit getting suddenly startled and jolting snapping its back or causeing another form of injury is something id rather not think about,

me personally im not a fan

I am not a fan of leads on rabbits or guinea pigs. If they suddenly pull away and the lead tight - they could cause some serious damage. I don't see the point when you can get a secure pen for them to play in. Then they can eat when they want to eat, hide when they want to hide - there are no restrictions. It is just safer.

IMO if the area is not secure to Free Range (supervised) then its not secure whilst harnessed either. Unless you consider it OK to use the harness/lead as a restraint. That would potentially be very dangerous and personally yes, I do think cruel.

IMO if the area is not secure to Free Range (supervised) then its not secure whilst harnessed either. Unless you consider it OK to use the harness/lead as a restraint. That would potentially be very dangerous and personally yes, I do think cruel.

:thumb:

I agree. I bought each of my buns a harness a few years ago in the hopes that it could be used for less secure areas when on holiday, but then never used them as the risk of injury dawned on me after purchase should bunny bolt in panic. You can never predict a rabbit panicking and for this reason any kind of lead/harness restraint IMO should not be used.

:thumb:

I agree. I bought each of my buns a harness a few years ago in the hopes that it could be used for less secure areas when on holiday, but then never used them as the risk of injury dawned on me after purchase should bunny bolt in panic. You can never predict a rabbit panicking and for this reason any kind of lead/harness restraint IMO should not be used.

Before I say anything I will just make it clear I actually don't like harnesses or leads for rabbits - I have never used one and never would. In fact when I looked after my first doe when her owners went on holiday - I took it off her within 10 minutes of them leaving - they used to leave the harness on her all the time :roll::evil: However, I am aware that some people do love their pets dearly and handle them from being a baby, when a rabbit has a harness on it instinctively knows it is restricted - it's actually unlikely if it is used to being on a harness to 'bolt' they tend to hop around quite gradually and gently. I just think if it is the only way that a bunny can get out of a hutch and hop around it's the lesser of two evils, a secure run or free range is the best option every time though. They are a bit like putting reigns on a toddler - a double edged sword - do I think they are cruel - no - I don't think they are good but, I don't think someone is necessarily cruel providing they do not put any pressure on the rabbit at all, you have to literally follow it where it wants to go - any sort of pulling is very dangerous, they have tiny little rib cages and it will be uncomfortable if not painful.

When I say prevent from escaping, I mean when a calm rabbit that is used to the harness trys to go under the fence, you pick it up and turn it the other way. No stress, no cruelty, it is over in a matter of seconds plus the rabbit learns it cannot go that way.

I understand what you are getting at here but you are suggesting the worse case senario were someone has put a harness on a rabbit that dislikes it and is running away/ bolting and injuring itself. What I am trying to say is that not all rabbits are like that, some are very relaxed and really do enjoy the oppertunity to investigate an area that would be unsafe otherwise.

You could say that no rabbits should be picked up as because rabbits are prey animals they dislike being restraind like that and they could struggle and fall if they get a fright etc.
Some rabbits are perfectly fine being picked up and really enjoy it.

When I say prevent from escaping, I mean when a calm rabbit that is used to the harness trys to go under the fence, you pick it up and turn it the other way. No stress, no cruelty, it is over in a matter of seconds plus the rabbit learns it cannot go that way.

I understand what you are getting at here but you are suggesting the worse case senario were someone has put a harness on a rabbit that dislikes it and is running away/ bolting and injuring itself. What I am trying to say is that not all rabbits are like that, some are very relaxed and really do enjoy the oppertunity to investigate an area that would be unsafe otherwise.

You could say that no rabbits should be picked up as because rabbits are prey animals they dislike being restraind like that and they could struggle and fall if they get a fright etc.
Some rabbits are perfectly fine being picked up and really enjoy it.

Thats true aswell. I think like the harness thing as long as it is done with care and lots of love then the bun shouldn't come to any harm - it is something to be very careful with though both picking up and using a harness - i think it is something to seek veterinary advice on aswell in terms of the harness, I know for puppies they don't actually recommend harness on really young pups of certain breeds as it can cause injury.

Back