• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is chewing a sign of teeth problems?

KTJ

Alpha Buck
Foo, my little indoor rabbit, is a bit of chewer and likes to nibble on handbags, any food he can find, belts, flip flops etc... which is fine, as I've put it down to his age (5 months) and the fact he was only neutered 3 weeks ago (hormones) ... but today, he is literally chewing EVERYTHING he can get his pesky little teeth into! My bag, my shoes, my watch, my clothes, my hairbrush, carrier bags, earrings (whilst still being worn! :shock:) my bedding, my jewellery box, literally anything...... could this be a sign of teeth problems? Out of all the rabbits I've ever had (including the 7 I have now) I've never had a dental bun, so I don't know what to look out for.

I thought it could be boredom, but he'll have to hang on a few more weeks until he is bonded due to only recently being neutered! His dog crate and my room is full of toys and I play with him everyday for atleast 4 hours, the rest of the time he free ranges round my room. I dont necessarily mind him chewing (Aslong as its not dangerous for him) but I just want to make sure it's not a sign of something more sinister.....

Just to add: he eats, drinks, poops, wees and is hyperactive as always!!

Last edited:
It sounds behavioural to me but I do think it would be advisable to have his teeth checked just in case.
Is he eating hay?

Thank you for your quick reply!!
Foo has access to hay 24/7 and eats it all the time.
I think getting him checked out will reassure me and put my mind at ease. Right now, he is literally charging round my room at high speed, and only stopping to chew on my flip flops :evil::lol:

i read years ago that chewing was normal in baby buns as thier jaws develop it should calm down as your bun gets older

Mine have all been real big chewers when they were young (apart from Nutmeg cos she was 2 when I got her). They've all pretty much grown out of it now.

some buns are just chewers as well :roll: Bobby is a nightmare, I am not allowed anything nice :cry:

Alvin has a wallpaper fetish, one tiny little spot uncovered and he has to strip it, even now at 3 years old :roll: all my walls are covered in pinned up towels and sheets where the buns freerange and i dont see what they are getting up to. Holly took a chunk out of the door frame when she plucked up the courage to leave the bunny room :shock::shock:

some buns are just chewers as well :roll: Bobby is a nightmare, I am not allowed anything nice :cry:

Aww :( I'm starting to know how you feel though- I bought some nice denim wedges last week with the cork heel.... guess what happened to them? They now have little chunks missing! Maybe I could try and pass it off as a new trend? :lol:

Aww :( I'm starting to know how you feel though- I bought some nice denim wedges last week with the cork heel.... guess what happened to them? They now have little chunks missing! Maybe I could try and pass it off as a new trend? :lol:

:lol: You should see my husbands slippers!! :lol:

Wallpaper, my bras, Ians golf club covers.. ooo he was cross

Back