• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best time of day for metacam dose

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Whats the best time to give Twinkle a dose of metacam. Vet said once a day and left it to me to decide when.... so..

Is morning better so she has the best of it during the day, or is evening time better so that she has the best of it through the night?

Thanks x

I've been doing Nutmeg's in the morning. Purely because when I picked her up Monday morning the nurse said she hadn't given it to her yet and did I want her to do it or to do it myself?

Last edited:
i always give Alvin his about 6pm when hes in stasis so that he can enjoy his evening run about pain free, it seems wasted to give it to him when its snooze time and i find mornings too much of a rush as well before work.

We've spent nearly a month moving Nino's dose from the morning to the evening, as this is his most sedentary time being in the hutch and not free range, and therefore the time his joints stiffen up most. But we are using the metacam more for it's anti-inflammatory effects rather than the pain relief... which is an added bonus really. It will hopefully mean he is less stiff in the morning after sitting around all night.... might even keep him moving and supple over night if he is pain free at this time. :)

How long will she be on it for hun?
My vet is always dubious about using it for too long, but then my vet is extremely cautious about their fragile tums.
I know theres plenty of people on here who have their buns on long term Metacam with no side effects though :) Maybe start another thread asking for their experiences?
Love for Twinkle and Sparkle xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What are the long term effects of using metacam daily? I worry it will harm Twinkle :(

Chronic damage to the kidneys and liver - but this is generally an accumulative effect occuring over a long-period of time. If your bun is on daily NSAID's then blood tests should be done to monitor the kidneys and liver function every 3-6 months. The best dose is the minimum needed to give therapeutic effect.

Nino has early onset arthritis, it is degenerative and causes inflammation and chronic pain to the point he gets repeated bouts of extremely painful and very dangerous bloat and stasis. By having daily metacam the inflammation of his joints is reduced and the pain controlled which means no more, or fewer, bloat episodes - so here the risks of long-term metacam use DO NOT outweigh the benefits. He is on the minimum dose we need to give him to prevent the bloat, and is so far *touch wood* doing very well.

Back