• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Awful news.. what happens now?

Funkylady

Young Bun
Yesterday was such a terrible day from start to finish.
A few weeks ago, I had to separate my young buns because they were male and female and was waiting for blueberries plums to show so we could get him done and back in the hutch with blueberry. Anyway, I had him in a new hutch and a temporary dog play pen for through the day when I was home and he got locked away at night as the playpen had no lid on it.
So... skip forward a few weeks and I was feeding them and changing litter trays on Monday night, the usual pellets and royale mix, fresh water and hay and some spring greens. lots of cuddles and binkying.... this was about 8pm at night.

Come 10pm I went to lock blueberry into his hutch, but he had escaped somehow and was nowhere to be seen. I searched the garden high and low without success. I made a flier and posted it through all the local houses letterboxes, I phoned the vets and police station to notify them....

then the worst thing happened. Yesterday afternoon a lady came to the door with some terrrible news.
She had found poor gorgeous blueberry asleep with the angels under her conifer hedge. Not a mark on him, just lying peacefully as though he had fallen asleep.
She was so upset, as was I and my little girl who is 3.

I can't believe how it has affected me. He was an amazing bunny, so friendly and funny and happy to be loved. I miss him terribly. As does his bunny wife Muffin. I hate seeing her so lonely.

The only thing is now, I am craving another male bun for her. I feel like it should be too soon, but I just cant stand seeing muffin so quiet and lonely on her own.
I really want to go to the local rescue to see what they have.

Is this too soon? I don't know...

I just hate seeing his empty hutch and muffin staring into his run looking for him...

what is the normal procedure for losing a bunny. I don't know how to feel. :( :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I am so sorry this is so long. I think I needed to vent. :cry::cry:

The kindest thing to do would be get he a partner hun, so you are thinking whats best for Muffin.

That story just bought a tear to my eye. There are no right or wrong answers in this and getting a new bun will not ditract from your love him,

Oh goodness Im so so sorry you lost Blueberry :cry: Hopefully he just got fed up of being outside and decided to fall asleep under a hedge.

Id definatly look in to getting Muffin a new bun as soon as you feel ready. As she didnt get to mourn his dead body she will be waiting for him and feeling very lonely. A new companion is the best way to ease this :)

so sorry again for your loss, and let us know hoe Muffin gets on with her new fella xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm so sorry, that's really sad :cry:

If you feel that Muffin would be happier with a new partner, then yes I would look at getting her one. Don't feel bad, it doessn't mean you won't still grieve and miss Blueberry, but you know what is best for your bunny.

Good luck xx

How so very sad.
The way youve put it too...fell asleep with the angels.
A tear to the eye.

aww, i'm so sorry. bless little blueberry, may he rip. when we lost harry, i cried for weeks, even now i shed tears for him, and he died six years ago. so, cry those tears, for as long as you need to. he had a lovely home with you. get a new buckfriend for muffin when you and she are ready xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back