• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trip to Vets U/D Back!

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Today I am off to the vets with Twinkle and Sparkle.

Twinkle is hopefully going to be signed off and have her myxi jab if vet thinks she is well enough. Sparkle is also having his myxi jab and will see my new vets for the first time.

I am much happier with Twinkle but do wonder if something is still niggling her as she seems to have moments where she is "not with us" and doesnt look comfortable, she seems to sometimes eat with her eyes shut, and sometimes looks like she is teeth chattering slightly (not grinding) - rest of the time she is bright and bubbly.

I did see her eat some hay yesterday so am feeling more confident that it is my over enthusiasm with lots of other food that is causing less hay eating than before... will talk to vet about way forward with what food I am offering her to get her back on hay more fully.

Last edited:
Good luck at the vets. Im taking mine to the vets today aswell, it so nerve wracking isnt it? :roll: *goes off to start her own thread!*

Hope Twinkle is ok and just being a picky little madam re. the hay :love:

It is worrying, especially in this heat too! Sparkle has to go in a separate carrier too as he gets so scared that he throws himself all over the carrier.. bounces of the sides of it etc... he ends up dribbling so much that the vet gets him out of the carrier and he looks like he has rabies... its so stressful :(

Twinkle goes in separate carrier to save her getting hurt with all his thrashing about :(

Good luck at the vets to you too!

It is worrying, especially in this heat too! Sparkle has to go in a separate carrier too as he gets so scared that he throws himself all over the carrier.. bounces of the sides of it etc... he ends up dribbling so much that the vet gets him out of the carrier and he looks like he has rabies... its so stressful :(

Twinkle goes in separate carrier to save her getting hurt with all his thrashing about :(

Good luck at the vets to you too!

OMG how stressful for you both :shock::( Am trying to think of ways to keep mine cool on the journey, I dont have an ice pod but would a hot water bottle thats been in the freezer do the same job do you think?
Vibes for minimum stress for Sparkle xx

OMG how stressful for you both :shock::( Am trying to think of ways to keep mine cool on the journey, I dont have an ice pod but would a hot water bottle thats been in the freezer do the same job do you think?
Vibes for minimum stress for Sparkle xx

I would think a frozen bottle would help, but none of my bunnies like the frozen bottles... I will use the air con in my car to keep them cool - do you have air con?

No but its literally a 5 minute journey so hopefully they'll cope for that long. I cant really fit a bottle in anyway coz I take them both in the same carrier.
I might put a damp towel over the carrier, although that might stop the fresh air getting in :?
Do you have to pad out Sparkles carrier coz of his going crazy? :(

No but its literally a 5 minute journey so hopefully they'll cope for that long. I cant really fit a bottle in anyway coz I take them both in the same carrier.
I might put a damp towel over the carrier, although that might stop the fresh air getting in :?
Do you have to pad out Sparkles carrier coz of his going crazy? :(

Its hard to pad it out as he just shreds everything shreddable, he attacks towels, so usually just put in some newspaper in the bottom so he doesnt slide and hope for the best - he is like a monster in the carrier.. but out of it, he is the quietest, most shy and caring bunny ever :roll:

If you are only five minutes from vets I would just get the windows open before you get in there, and then drive with windows open... my journey is about 40 minutes and have to go on the motorway.

OMG 40 mins aswell, poor Sparkle and poor you :(

Hope you dont have to take either of them to the vets again for a looooooooong time after today hun.

iI'll be looking out for your update later. My appts at 2.15 so will update after that xxx

OMG 40 mins aswell, poor Sparkle and poor you :(

Hope you dont have to take either of them to the vets again for a looooooooong time after today hun.

iI'll be looking out for your update later. My appts at 2.15 so will update after that xxx

Mine is 10.30.... get it over and done with as quick as I can today!

My old vet is only 20 minutes away, but I will never step foot in there again!!

Its hard to pad it out as he just shreds everything shreddable, he attacks towels, so usually just put in some newspaper in the bottom so he doesnt slide and hope for the best - he is like a monster in the carrier.. but out of it, he is the quietest, most shy and caring bunny ever :roll:

If you are only five minutes from vets I would just get the windows open before you get in there, and then drive with windows open... my journey is about 40 minutes and have to go on the motorway.

It's about 30 minutes from here. Mine prefer the motorway, our old vets was through urban town and it was all twisty and turny. On the motorway they get thrown about less. I also find on the motorway after a few minutes of air being blasted through the car it cools down quite quick.

Well got there quite quick today as it was after the rush hour... probably 30 minutes. Sparkle was frothing at the mouth and kicked and jumped all over the carrier all the way there, but otherwise very healthy and had his myxi.

Twinkle has maintained her weight, and also was allowed her myxi jab. She can come off the ear drops now too which is good as she hates that! The vet has said I can put her on one dose of metacam a day if I feel she is in any discomfort. I will try that for a week and let him know how it has gone.

He says the tooth roots are a bit longer than he would like, and they may cause her some irritation on and off.. but says having a small dose of metacam is preferable to being put to sleep.

So just need to carry on doing what I am doing and feeding her well.. she is still tolerating veggies which is SO WEIRD cos before she would of been so mucky with the amount of veggies she is eating now. I just cant work that out.

Back