• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideal coop for rabbit use?

For the money you spend on a chicken coop you can get far bigger and superior types of accomodation. Most rescues will not rehome to them due to their dimensions.

Rescues usually request a size of 6 x 2 foot for a hutch area which is protected from the elements, this is a total of 12 square feet. The protected area on one of these is Width 15" x Depth 33.5" x Height 15.7" this is 1.25 feet x 2.8 feet which is a mere 3.5 square feet :cry:

An attatched 6 x 4 run to a 6 x 2 foot hutch gives a further 24 square feet (Total 36 square feet). One of these coops has a run which is approximately 3.25 feet 6.5 square feet which is 21.25 square feet (total of 24.75 square feet.

Woah, I didn't even look at the math so much as just the pictures. The hutch I have now cost a fraction of what that is worth and is much bigger. My bad. :roll:

I think a lot of people think these coops are bigger than they actually are.. I can never work out the measurements unless everything is in feet, so was also quite shocked at Janice's workings out.. even smaller than I thought!!

I think a lot of people think these coops are bigger than they actually are.. I can never work out the measurements unless everything is in feet, so was also quite shocked at Janice's workings out.. even smaller than I thought!!

The sad thing is that people spend their well earned money on ones like this and also other hutches which are made out of cheap soft woods which eitehr dont last or people then go on to realise that they are not as big as they thought and end up having to rebuy a new hutch.

To me a hutch / run if treated well should last the life time of a rabbit which could be as long as 14 years. Therefore spending £200 - 350 on a decent hutch / run is actually a good investment and saves money in the long run.

I made the same mistake and bought on of those coops, and while I think it'll 'do' for the summer as they don't ever go upstairs/inside, I'll be replacing it for winter...

D x

Back