• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Garden Fire - Bun & Piggies saved!

Fluffers

Wise Old Thumper
I've just returned from this:
29062010209.jpg

29062010208.jpg

29062010210.jpg

...the aftermath of a garden fire started by a glass object on a window sil reflecting on something dry in the garden (a fence panel we think) through a closed window.

The owners had a bunny and a two guinea pigs in their garden (their garden is or rather was the first pic)..... and a lovely neighbour as it turns out. Their neighbour, who had a hysterectomy just 4 days ago and was at home resting :shock:, saw the fence alight & immediately ran outside and saved the animals. The oil tank in the garden and the one in the next door neighbours garden (2nd pic) quickly caught fire and the flames soon reached in excess of 20ft in height.

It took the fire brigade over 15 mins to get the flames under control which, considering the relatively small area it covered was quite a time but with over 1000 litres of oil alight and being so close to the houses and a still night...... it was a very intense fire.

Amazingly, the rabbits hutch was saved and so it plus the bun are being kept in the neighbours garage where its cool and airy. The guinea pigs are also there and thanks to Jill (Honeybunny) they now have a new temporary hutch, just delivered by me :D

Lovely people who clearly care a lot for their animals - all of which have been "given" to them by "friends" who didn't want them any more :(

goodness, that looks horrific, so please that the animals were saved and no one was seriously hurt.

It is a warning about keeping reflective objects near windows though, people just don't think about it do they

...and even better news - the lovely people didn't know very much about bunny care but as a result of us donating a hutch for their piggies have promised to get their lovely girl bun (who they've only had for 2 weeks) speyed :D They were very receptive to advice on diet etc although I didn't want to overload them considering the cirumstances.... Poor bunny apparently passed out at one point because of the fumes from the burning oil. She is well out of harms way now and appeared very relaxed in the garage, good poops, plenty of hay, fresh water etc :D

:shock: that neighbour deserves the biggest thank you ever for saving them even tho she's not well!! x

Blimey, its scary that a fire can start so easily (bit scared of fire tbh)

Thank goodness the neighbour knew there were animals there!

:shock: that neighbour deserves the biggest thank you ever for saving them even tho she's not well!! x

I couldn't believe it when I saw her this afternoon - she can barely walk but she RAN into the garden whilst the fence was on fire, grabbed the bun (who was free ranging :?), then came back for the piggies AND the hutch!!

Needless to day she's been severely repremanded but also thanked :D

Oh my goodness, that sent chills down my spine! The state of that garden!!!
What a freak accident, I certainly wouldnt think about it and I have a few glass objects on windowsills so am certainly thinking twice about those!!!

So lucky for the bunny and guinea pig, how kind of you and Jill to give a spare hutch.

I hope the little furries are not too shaken up by it.

How amazing that the neighbour rushed out and got them...after only 4 days and with a burning garden she took quite a risk to do that! Amazing.

Wow the piggies are bunny are so lucky!! The neighbour, wow, she is amazing, she can barely walk and she must have been brave and quick thinking!! I hope my neighbour would do the same for me:D

Oh my goodness, that sent chills down my spine! The state of that garden!!!
What a freak accident, I certainly wouldnt think about it and I have a few glass objects on windowsills so am certainly thinking twice about those!!!

So lucky for the bunny and guinea pig, how kind of you and Jill to give a spare hutch.

I hope the little furries are not too shaken up by it.

How amazing that the neighbour rushed out and got them...after only 4 days and with a burning garden she took quite a risk to do that! Amazing.

The bun & piggies owner certainly has a lovely neighbour & friend (for life I should think). All 3 animals looked fine in the garage. The neighbour had made a lovely little make shift run for the piggies out of plastic crates filled with hay :) It was nice & cool in there and the neighbour was going to let them have a little run in her small enclosed garden each evening until the owners get things sorted. As I said to them "you are very lucky to have such a wonderful neighbour. No one died and no animals were hurt. You can replace fences, plants, grass etc."

I think thats why I believe in angels, she is a lovely lovely lady, I do hope she hasn't hurt herself in anyway, what a wonderful thing to do. Glad the animals are safe and no-one hurt.

Back