• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clarence may need a new home :( u/d post 13 & 15 & 19 - home found!! :D

Ive tried so hard not to get attached to this bun, and i wish so much that dad had never brought him home. :(

I previously posted a thread about his living space being too small and my dad not taking full responsibility for his care. After posting that thread he said he would take him for his VHD and get him neutered...3/4 weeks down the line and were still in the same situation! :evil:

He does have free range time, although its not enough because it has to be split between the nethies and him since they cant actually be put together. This is causing more problems because both male buns are constantly defending their territory when the other is out and over time i think this will just cause uneccissary stress.

I have already said that i cannot afford to house and care for a third bun properly and so i think he needs to go to a new home. Its getting too upsetting for me to see him.

I feel cruel for not making dad take him back the day he brought him, but its also cruel to keep him where hes constantly defending his hutch and can see and smell other buns but cant meet them.

This is the right thing, isnt it? I want to rehome him because im worried dad will give him to whoever wants him. Id prefer him to be neutered and live with another female, if there are children around, he is still the adults responsibility!

Last edited:
Yes - if you know you can't give him what he really needs, best you take responsibility for finding him a forever home. That way you can make sure he goes to a great home where he will be looked after properly, it will be up to you who adopts him. Hard decision, can tell you're really upset by it, hope you're ok x

Yes - if you know you can't give him what he really needs, best you take responsibility for finding him a forever home. That way you can make sure he goes to a great home where he will be looked after properly, it will be up to you who adopts him. Hard decision, can tell you're really upset by it, hope you're ok x

Im crying now! :lol: deep down i know its the right thing to do. I've had a number of offers but i didnt want to let him go because they have all been friends of mine. It would be nice if he can go somewhere where i can still see him and he will be happy but my friends like spending their money on clothes, alcohol and parties and didnt even think about getting him neutered/vaccinated when i asked them!

I have been speaking to some people i know through the horses, their nethie x reecently died and are looking for another bun to go with their doe. They even offered money for him! I dont want money, just a good home but i know if i advertised him as "free to a good home" then id get all sorts of people asking about him, including breeders! :evil:

Im going to go to the ladies house in a few days to "meet their other bun" i dont want to make it too obvious that i want a good nosey round their garden to make sure its all safe! :lol:

I really hope this goes well as i dont want to put him on RU, id rather he stayed local.

Not necessarily true as Dexter and Amber were on Pre-loved as free to good home :D
Home your home check goes well :D

And they were lucky enough to find you! :)

unfortunatley this isnt the case for every bun :(

i wish i had loads of land and a rich husband so i could have all the bunnys that needed a home!

Im going to go to the ladies house in a few days to "meet their other bun" i dont want to make it too obvious that i want a good nosey round their garden to make sure its all safe! :lol:

I really hope this goes well as i dont want to put him on RU, id rather he stayed local.

I wouldn't worry, I'd tell her you'd like to see where he would be living to make sure he will be safe and happy. If she really looks after her buns she won't mind at all!

You could ask for money for him, and then offer it back as a donation to whoever takes him to pay towards vaccs and neutering, which means you don't get any money and you know he's going to a home where they care.

If you look at my website you will see a load of articles and also a lot of info on home visits. I home visit for the RSPCA and the home visit stuff may give you an idea for what to look for. Also, the articles are what I give out to potential adopters. Feel free to give any people interested a link to my website, or, if you want, I don't mind sending you paper copies so you can give it to them and know they have it.

Good luck!

Not necessarily true as Dexter and Amber were on Pre-loved as free to good home :D
Home your home check goes well :D

Two of my buns are were also advertised as "free to good home" on a notice board in p@h. I took these rabbits in as I was afraid if I didn't goodness knows who would have. The people who I got them from didn't seem too bothered about me or how I intended to keep them they just didn't want them! She even gave me their paper work including their "ADOPTION" paperwork from a local rescue, they'd only had them for just over a year. I contacted the rescue to let them know and the response was less than I had expected, they didn't ask for any details so they could contact the origanal owners or anything!!
Your doing the right thing by doing a home visit and you shouldn't have to ask to see where the rabbit is going to be living she should show you straight away, don't be afraid to ask questions though, things like who her vet is ect. And if you have any doubts don't let her have the bun. You could also ask if you could keep in touch, exchange e-mails so you can get photos from time to time! Good luck fingers crossed:D

Im debating wether to put the little fella on here. I might not see him as often but im pretty sure whoever got him wouldnt mind adding pictures and things to the forum. Also im 99% sure that he would find the best forever home possible on here.

Is it bad that i dont want to see where hes going to? I got really upset last night after a lengthy family discussion to decide if its really the best thing. Keeping him as a house rabbit did come up, but we are all at work/college/school for most of the day and i dont think it would be fair. I would like my mum to go and see where hes going to but i really dont think i could drop him off. :(

Im also having doubts about letting him go to the local lady, she mentioned having a number of terrier type dogs at home. Im not saying dogs and rabbits cant get along, mine adores the buns! BUT how can she keep her eye on 3 terriers all of the time? The fact that their terriers, and likely to chase anything that moves is also a worry.

I just dont know what to do, i dont know how to even start an add! :(

I am sure if someone on here had him, then you would still get to "see" him. Maybe you could pm a mod to get him added to the right section of the forum. If someone here did want him you could stipulate you wanted regular updates as part of the adoption!

I am sure if someone on here had him, then you would still get to "see" him. Maybe you could pm a mod to get him added to the right section of the forum. If someone here did want him you could stipulate you wanted regular updates as part of the adoption!

i really would like him to be neutered before he goes, although this is something i cant afford as ive saved the money for Dolly to be spayed in August. Dad agreed when he brought him home that he would make sure all of this was seen to, but it wasnt. :evil: Someone had suggested that i ask for the money for him to be neutered before be goes, i suppose this would be convenient as it would save the new mummy the after care but is it cheeky to ask for £50!?

I did wonder if i could get a voucher to help with the cost from somewhere, im so angry with dad, he should have done this!!

i really would like him to be neutered before he goes, although this is something i cant afford as ive saved the money for Dolly to be spayed in August. Dad agreed when he brought him home that he would make sure all of this was seen to, but it wasnt. :evil: Someone had suggested that i ask for the money for him to be neutered before be goes, i suppose this would be convenient as it would save the new mummy the after care but is it cheeky to ask for £50!?

I did wonder if i could get a voucher to help with the cost from somewhere, im so angry with dad, he should have done this!!

Depending on where in cleveland you are there are vouchers around. Hartlepool RSPCA do assisted neuting of rabbits

Depending on where in cleveland you are there are vouchers around. Hartlepool RSPCA do assisted neuting of rabbits

Thanks very much for that, i have contacted Hartlepool and i am awaiting their reply. Im not sure i would be able to have Clarence neutered free of charge as neither i or my parents are in receipt of the benefits listed. I have explained my circumstances though and i know they will have policys which they have to follow, but surely staying with me untill i can find a suitable home is better than him going into a rescue? Hes not being neglected in any way and he knows me.

Last edited:
u/d #2 - Clarence is in the "Rabbits in Need" section.

Hey just a quick update.

After turning down 2 possible homes, Clarence is now advertised in the "Rabbits in need" section.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=235194

The first home i turned down was the woman who has a number of terrier dogs, funny how she told me that her last rabbit was attacked by her dog AFTER i said i dont think its the right set up for him! :shock:

The 2nd home was a girl of my own age, thought id give her the benefit of the doubt as shes had rabbits in the past. I said no as soon as she said she cant afford to have him neutered! Im hoping to somehow get some funds together for this before he is rehomed, but if she cant afford to neuter him, what happens if he gets sick! :roll:

Anyway just thought id let you all know whats going on, ive wrote so many emails and made so many calls today! Ive had a lot of reassurance too and im starting to feel a bit happier about it all, eventhough im sure ill find it difficult when he finds his forever home.

Check the little fella out anyway, Mr Clarence loves to be admired :D

Last edited:
the rabbit neutering is not means tested. I did however drop into one of their 'road shows' as I never recieved a phone call back. So Isla got chipped 'for free' too. I say 'for free' as I left a generous donation

U/D Clarence will soon be going to stay with charlie82

Hi everyone,

thought id let you all know how the story ends...

After being on the "rabbits in need" section for a couple of days, charlie82 has said she will take him and pair him up with another bun :)

Im so glad its worked out for him, she has an amazing set up, with a large shed/run combo and some of her buns free range around the house. Ive had excellent references and i really dont think he could have found a better home.

We just have to arrange a day for him to move house and start his new life in his forever home! :D

Heres hoping he lives a long and healthy life!! :love:

Back