• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns sharing the garden - do you ever have problems with bonds?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Just having another panicking thread - Just reading the free-ranging thread got me thinking. Sooty and Oreo are currently in the shed, have an attached run and I let them out for 1-2 hours when I get home from work to free-range which they love.
Chalrie and Mittens are indoors at the mo but are moving out soon..

So my question is in the title - Am I able to let them out to free-range too?(obviously seperately) is there ever any problems with 'smells' or territories - using the same free range space isnt going to start any fights is it :?

They'll probably just poo a lot and scent everything. I've had my buns in a run and my sister's buns free ranging and then swapped them over. My sister's rabbit liked to guard the run and poo all around it but nothing too bad. The way I see it, it gives them something interesting to do when they're out. :mrgreen:

My two pair of boys take turns in the big run on the lawn. They have a sniff around, and rearrange things to what they like, and that's all - they're quite happy to share and are used to each others scents.

My garden is split in half and they're not allowed on each other's sides. However it still does cause the occasional problem when two of them happen to be sniffing at the same patch of the boundary at the same time and can smell / hear each other :?

We have loads of rabbits at the sanctuary that share boundaries between their enclosures with no problems, although lots of them love to "big it up" along the fence with their "enemies" - they love it!

The only time you have a problem is if you have referred agression where if one of a pair can't get to their "enemy" they will attack their own partner instead - you won't know until you try really.

I have 6 pairs and of those there are 3 buns that have serious referred aggression, so when they are freeranging, or the other buns are, I cover the front of their enclosures so they can't all see each other.
Mine are fine with the scent of the other buns, its just if they see each other:roll:

The only time you have a problem is if you have referred agression where if one of a pair can't get to their "enemy" they will attack their own partner instead - you won't know until you try really.

Mine are fine with the scent of the other buns, its just if they see each other:roll:

Loppy used to chase and nip Daisy if I just passed with the old hay etc from the" House Bucks",with him the smell was enough.However now he will quite happily lie beside Ollie and Ozzie but isnt too keen on Daisy getting too close to them [I think he likes the boys for himself :oops:].My only problem now is he ends up yellow occassionally as Ollie sometimes sprays him.

I have no problems with mine but they do live side by side so I guess they are used to other bunnies being near by.

We have loads of rabbits at the sanctuary that share boundaries between their enclosures with no problems, although lots of them love to "big it up" along the fence with their "enemies" - they love it!

I have 6 pairs and of those there are 3 buns that have serious referred aggression, so when they are freeranging, or the other buns are, I cover the front of their enclosures so they can't all see each other.

Yep this happened to us when we fostered a neutered male and let him use the lawn at separate times to our pair. Our two got into full on redirected aggression fighting and we had to keep them off the lawn until he had been rehomed and the rain had washed the smell away after a few weeks. It isn't that common but it can happen so you just need to try and supervise very closely.
Most people who keep lots of buns say that the redirected aggression should settle down over time. Full on fighting must be broken up though and should be avoided at all costs. You really can only try and see what happens - some buns have no probs with it.

My lot have a run that they take turns in. Albert and Evie are fine with this but Bella smells where they have been and turns into a hormonal monster :roll:

thankyou - oh dear - nothing is ever simple with these buns - i will make sure they cant see each other - it will just be the smell really.. will give it a go!

Back