• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay smells mouldy

Candiflare

Mama Doe
i've bought some new hay and it was different stuff because the place I usually buy it from had run out and it smells...

It smells like wet dog towels...and the smell of my Grandpa's house after he died... and the hay is a bit moist...

Does some hay just smell like this, or is this mouldy and gone off?

i've bought some new hay and it was different stuff because the place I usually buy it from had run out and it smells...

It smells like wet dog towels...and the smell of my Grandpa's house after he died... and the hay is a bit moist...

Does some hay just smell like this, or is this mouldy and gone off?

They way you are describing it, sounds like it's been baled too early before it's fully dry and the moisture has heated it up and then gone to mould spores.

I think your description of wet dog towels reminds me of what my old school pe kit smelt like when I had forgotten it was damp in my school bag until the next time I needed it!

I'd try and return it. I know the farm we use has taken bales back before now if the buyer had been unhappy. Only a handful of times but nice to know that they are happy to do so.

I'd try taking it back as you can't use it - they're cutting the new hay now so it's probably quite an old bale you've got from the bottom of a pile somewhere!
We've had some rubbish hay recently and I've been shopping all over for some decent stuff.

Back