• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coccidiosis Result Of Pm On Benny

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
Some of you may remember my dear sweet Benny who passed away 2.5 weeks ago, 2 days after having a CYLAP vaccination. The PM results say he had intestinal Coccidiosis (which I am ashamed to say i hadn't heard of) I am still convinced though that as he had improved so well in my care and was indeed doing well, having CYLAP still pushed his delicate body over the edge - he weighed 0.8 kg and was approx 18 months old. Has anyone any views on this?? Should a thin bunny have been given CYLAP in any case or could it have had a reaction as he had a parasite?? Thank you all in anticipation

Oh dear, what a shame :cry: So sorry to hear this :( Buns do naturally carry a little coccidia so it may well be that his immune system couldn't quite cope with the demands of processing a vaccine and this allowed the coccidia to overgrow.

To be honest only your vet can say whether they were ok to vaccinate - a sick animal shouldn't be vaccinated but if they appear in reasonable health but are underweight, it's got to be a balancing act between the risk of an unvaccinated rabbit catching VHD (which will definitely kill it) or giving it the vaccine when it may not be in 100% perfect health. It's a bit of a judgement call depending on the exact circumstances and overall health of the bun on examination rather than a definite right or wrong, really :?

This is so sad as i didn't even take Benny for a vax, I took him for a mild skin problem that was actually nothing - the vet suggested the vax not me! It still bothers me immensely

It's such a tricky one - occasionally I have heard people say 'I took my bun to the vets but they didn't mention vaccination' after their bun has died of something preventable :( so I do think the vet is right to mention vaccinations. VHD and myxi are both rife and with VHD in particular it is very difficult to know how much of it there is around, so vaccination is definitely a sensible thing to do in most circumstances.

Sadly we can't forsee the future and it can be difficult to tell whether the risk is higher for vaccinating or not vaccinating a particular bun, especially if they've previously had health problems :(

hello, sorry to hear about your bunny :(
i must admit that my vet wont vaccinate anything under 1kg with anything, and he waits until they are a few 100g over 1kg to vaccinate with VHD. the vaccine is apparently safe enough to use on lighter rabbits, but he personnaly doesnt like it. we use Cylap too.

Personally I won't vhd any of my buns that are in any way compromised - I've taken that good advice from someone with vast rabbit experience and who sees the effects of vaccs on hundreds of rabbits.

I have 4 bunnies here that won't have vhd this year as they have shown poor reactions previously e.g. little Joey had myxi/vhd vaccs in Sept 2009 - he seemed fine after myxi so went ahead with the vhd, but then spent right through until January nursing him back to health.
He'd had no other problems in the few years previously, or since (touches wood) so to me it seems it was the vhd that pushed his system too far.

I feel for you as it was on your vets advice that you went ahead, but at the end of the day we do what seems best at the time.
Please don't be too hard on yourself :-(

i do think vacinatting ainst VHD is a good idea. one of my rabbits got the disease before he was old enough to be vacinated. he started fitting one evening and followed that was 20minutes of pure agony, and there was nothing we could do.
the disease results in multiple organ failure and my bunny, Charlie, screamed for the 20minutes.
of course there is a risk with any vaccine, but to me that risk is ok compared to what the disease causes.

obviously im not lecturing, vaccinating is everyones personal choice.

try not to be to hard on your self, it sounds like a catch 22, you will probably never know if he would have gone the same without the vaccination.

exam before vaccination

Some of you may remember my dear sweet Benny who passed away 2.5 weeks ago, 2 days after having a CYLAP vaccination. The PM results say he had intestinal Coccidiosis (which I am ashamed to say i hadn't heard of) I am still convinced though that as he had improved so well in my care and was indeed doing well, having CYLAP still pushed his delicate body over the edge - he weighed 0.8 kg and was approx 18 months old. Has anyone any views on this?? Should a thin bunny have been given CYLAP in any case or could it have had a reaction as he had a parasite?? Thank you all in anticipation

wow,..my sincere condolences..,,this is heartbreaking.//.proper exam is mandatory before any vaccination.,(jabs)-//.coccidiosis is a -parasitical-gi tract -opportunist-that is released during stressful periods-which,leads to dehydration,death--all avoidable.:evil:..sincerely james waller g.d.wales

Just returned from vet (another reason) and was discussing Benny - my vet said in her 10 years she had never come across a rabbit with coccidiosis before - I only had Benny for a few months from someone else who didn't want him - I really want to know how he got it whilst at his first home - or maybe I should leave it? I am sure my other buns will be fine as Benny was kept on his own due to being delicate - it's all a big worry!:?

Back