• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Matted fur on elderly bunny

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
One of my foster bunnies is a 6-year old PEW Nethie boy. He has had his front teeth removed and also needed his molars filed down. He's a friendly little chap, who eats his pellets, but does not like any hay. His previous owners gave him all sorts of other rubbish to eat, so he never got into the habit of eating hay.

Over the last 2 months he has neglected his fur, his sides and tummy are quite matted. His wife does not groom him much, and I don't know how well he can do it without his teeth. I had a gummy bunny before, who did manage to keep her fur nice, though.

I tried some careful washing, which didn't help. Brushing doesn't change much either, and results in most of his fur coming out and leaving a bald patch.

What else can I try without stressing him out too much? The vet just suggested brushing, may try and ask the other vet, now that she's back from her holidays.

I would try to carefully cut the matts out if they are bad to be honest, just watch the skin. Any which can be gently broken up with fingers or a soft brush or fine animal comb can be done this way. I think sometimes just cutting the worst out for bad cases might be easiest for everyone.
Poppy has long fur and so we brush her everyday. I would recommend this if you can, it prevents matts ever forming in the first place.

I would not wash him as that just makes the fur mat even more

I'd carefully cut out the worst mats and then comb him daily rather than brush him.

I would not wash him as that just makes the fur mat even more

I'd carefully cut out the worst mats and then comb him daily rather than brush him.

The thing is, if I use something as fine as a comb, then ALL the fur comes out. I don't know if bunny fur comes out so easily because they are prey animals, or whether he has a problem. If I brush him, then the mats don't come out at all. There are hardly any bad mats, it's more like spikes of hair. His legs are looking quite thin, though, he's lost fur on them. :(

My Inca has matted fur down below from time to time.
I usually get the vet to shave off the worst sections and then i very gently comb her problem areas.

I did rip her skin a wee it once, so i am very careful now.

This is the little man, by the way, and his much younger wife. Benny and Smudge, friendly pair, looking for an experienced home. :love:

February2010011.jpg

February2010015.jpg

:wave:
i had the same problem with my sherpa. his fur along his legs and sides were kind of dreadlocked. the only way i found to help was to shave all the fur off. i was lucky since i work at the vets i was able to take him in and get it all done. when he was under GA i plucked alot of it out too.
now his fur is growing back nicely :D

Back