• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mini lop weight - should I be worried?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
My bunny was neutered today and at 6 months old only weighs 1.15kg. Is this too small for a mini lop?

The vet felt that his liver may be enlarged and queried whether his growth is stunted - I know he is a little smaller than an average mini lop but is he underweight enough to suggest stunted growth? :?

He'll be getting re-checked soon and bloods taken if necessary but just wanted opinions on his size really.

Edited to add - he seems perfectly healthy and lively in himself, eats well etc.

I am surprised the Vet went ahead with a GA if he thought your Rabbit's liver was enlarged :?

The ideal weight for an adult Mini Lop is 1.5-1.6kg.

I am surprised the Vet went ahead with a GA if he thought your Rabbit's liver was enlarged :?

The ideal weight for an adult Mini Lop is 1.5-1.6kg.

I know :? Just wondering if there is scope for him to be normal and just a bit smaller than some, or "should" he be heavier by now?

The vet who booked us in didn't say anything about the liver, but the one I collected him from (who had done the op) said she was concerned and feels it needs monitoring.

He may just be a smaller bunny - Alfie and Bubbles are both mini lops but A weighs 1.6kg and B weighs around 1.3kg. Bubbles was spayed at about 5 1/2 mths and was a little over a kilo at the time, so much the same size as your bun.

I don't know what mine weigh :shock: :oops:

Must get the vet to weigh them in August when they go for vaccination. Lola is def a lot lighter than Benson but then she is tiny and Benson is a big boy - both mini lops though.

My apparent mini lops are fully grown and are 1.8kg. I reckon they arn't full mini lops though.

Thank you all, I feel quite reassured about his size, just got to see what the vet says about his liver. I don't think the vet appreciated the fact that mini lops are a specific breed, and far smaller than the dwarf lops they probably normally see.

I wouldn't put too much on his breed because the ideal weight for a mini lop is just a showable wieght. Nothing more, nothing less. You will get pure bred minilops of a variety of sizes, equally, you may have cross breed bunnies that appear to be minilops by their looks but have a lot of small bunnies in their very recent past, or a different type of dwarfism, or something.

I think probably the liver is more concerning than the size, which sounds about where you stand with it too.

Back