• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you tell...

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
If your bun is now eating all his caecotrophs.... or has just stopped making them? I don't think I've ever seen any of my rabbits eat their special poops before :?

Zero used to leave at least one a day, and now he's stopped after I changed his diet etc. I just assumed he's eating them, but how would I know if he had just stopped making them?

Dont they sometimes eat these in the early hours? funnily enough ive not seen grace eat them either but i have charlie. xxxxxx

If your bunny is making good sized, round, light coloured poops, all is well on the tummy side.;)

It's rare for buns to stop making caecs, either the caecum is packed full of dried out stuff (impacted) & can't empty, or it is empty & collapsed on itself & can't fill. Your bun will carry on eating but the waste poops are highly abormal & a mixture of both types
This is the poop from my bun when he couldn't make caecs. because he's lost much of the nerve supply to his caecum.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=208430&page=18 # 180

A rabbit who doesn't eat caecotrophs will soon suffer from malnutrition. As long as he's fine, he's eating them.

They tend to eat them in the early hours and late morning which is often why many owners miss it. As above, if all other droppings are normal, the caecum is functioning normally too. As thumps says a malfunctioning caecum is extremely rare.

Back