• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Watery Eyes

Mazzawa

Young Bun
Hello

Having been through another course of eye drops we think that our bunny has tooth impaction on his tear ducts. Now, I know there is the option of extraction of the offending tooth/teeth but this then leaves the problem of the lower molars not being ground down. I was just wondering what are the other options available to make it comfortable for him? I will take him back to the vets for a checkup on Wednesday, however, I see two different vets (day of the week dependent) and although both very good one was all for extraction and one was against it so thought I'd better suss out the options first so I know what I'll expect to hear and be prepared to discuss the options!

When he was being checked I did mention hayfever as it was around this time last year that one of his eyes watered really badly - is this a common things in bunnies? I mentioned it to the vet but they just dismissed it saying that its rare.

Also, is it possible to rasp down a bunnys teeth without sedation? Our bun is a good sized lionhead cross (hence teeth problems...) and although is ok with being put under LA I wouldn't want it to be something he has to go through regularly as he gets older if we were to go ahead with extraction.

Oh and in case anyone remembers my previous post (a few weeks ago) it turns out our bun is allergic to Maxitrol eye drops (we think it's the steroid element), causing his mouth to swell and hence him going into stasis - thank goodness we figured it out!!!

Thanks in advance :)

Not really sure hun but didn't want to read and run :) there are lots of people on here with dental buns so hopefully they might be able to help you out.

I'm pretty sure that your rabbit will always need to be sedated for any dental work though

I have seen other people mention hay fever but not sure how common it is, I would be more inclined to put it down to a dental problem especially if he is prone to them.

Hello

Having been through another course of eye drops we think that our bunny has tooth impaction on his tear ducts. Now, I know there is the option of extraction of the offending tooth/teeth but this then leaves the problem of the lower molars not being ground down. I was just wondering what are the other options available to make it comfortable for him? I will take him back to the vets for a checkup on Wednesday, however, I see two different vets (day of the week dependent) and although both very good one was all for extraction and one was against it so thought I'd better suss out the options first so I know what I'll expect to hear and be prepared to discuss the options!

When he was being checked I did mention hayfever as it was around this time last year that one of his eyes watered really badly - is this a common things in bunnies? I mentioned it to the vet but they just dismissed it saying that its rare.

Also, is it possible to rasp down a bunnys teeth without sedation? Our bun is a good sized lionhead cross (hence teeth problems...) and although is ok with being put under LA I wouldn't want it to be something he has to go through regularly as he gets older if we were to go ahead with extraction.

Oh and in case anyone remembers my previous post (a few weeks ago) it turns out our bun is allergic to Maxitrol eye drops (we think it's the steroid element), causing his mouth to swell and hence him going into stasis - thank goodness we figured it out!!!

Thanks in advance :)

Sounds like your poor bun has been through the mill a bit recently doesn't it. :(

The other option is to have the offending tooth burred down to the gum line - reducing the crown significantly (post dental pain relief for a few days is essential when this is performed as may expose some pulp or sensitivity). It is thought that by reducing the crown significantly this can sometimes reduce the pressure and growth of the elongated tooth roots. However, i'm not sure at what degree this is still a feasible option, once there is impaction of the nasolacrimal duct? :? It may be too late at this stage to be of benefit, I just don't know, sorry. The only other option really is to have the offending tooth removed, root included obviously. I'm not sure if removing the opposite tooth that it grinds against is an option? But removing any molars can be tricky as they are wedged quite firmly into the jaw bone. Is it definitely a molar root causing the impaction and not an elongated incisor root?

I would personally not recommend dental burring for molar teeth without appropriate anaesthesia, from what I understand the risks and stress involved are too great, certainly regarding certain vessels that run very close to where burring takes place of the molars and the degree to which the jaw must be opened. I've had my bun's incisors burred without sedation, but this is totally different and is very quick and does not involve the same risks.
Some people on here do have molar spurs treated without anaesthesia and prefer this method. It really is up to you. I don't think I could ever do this knowing what I have heard from exotic vets in the business. :?
A vet who knows what they are doing re. anaesthesia will be able to repeat it safely.

I think allergies causing rhinitis in rabbits is a contentious subject. Up until it has always been documented as 'rare' and indeed my vet has said the same in the past. I have heard recently that thoughts may be changing on this, and certainly there are some buns on here who have responded well to antihistamines. Bristol rabbit clinic has been behind several recommendations I understand.
Has your bun had a head and jaw Xray to see whether or not it really is tooth root elongation causing the problems?

Thanks for the replies guys! No he hasn't had xrays yet, that is the next step but at £400...ouch...I love my bunny though! We are presuming it is a molar root but I really don't know - not a vet in the slightest! The burring down to the base is an interesting idea - he hasn't had this problem for very long so perhaps this might be an option. Depending on the vet I get on wednesday I might mention it. If not perhaps an extraction is the best thing to do. He isn't a diddy little dwarf which should make an extraction a little easier, he's quite a big bun really!

I guess the thing I worry about is that if he needs repeated rasping after an extraction for the lower teeth, how will he cope with that into old age if he has to be put under GA? He's just 2 at the moment so plenty of bounce in the wee guy yet!

Thanks for the replies guys! No he hasn't had xrays yet, that is the next step but at £400...ouch...I love my bunny though! We are presuming it is a molar root but I really don't know - not a vet in the slightest! The burring down to the base is an interesting idea - he hasn't had this problem for very long so perhaps this might be an option. Depending on the vet I get on wednesday I might mention it. If not perhaps an extraction is the best thing to do. He isn't a diddy little dwarf which should make an extraction a little easier, he's quite a big bun really!

I guess the thing I worry about is that if he needs repeated rasping after an extraction for the lower teeth, how will he cope with that into old age if he has to be put under GA? He's just 2 at the moment so plenty of bounce in the wee guy yet!

Honestly a head and jaw Xray is your next step. It is impossible for any vet to make a diagnosis of elongated tooth roots without one really. I would not be opting for an extraction until I had all the facts first. :):wave:

That's him booked in for the back of 5pm tomorrow for a checkup so will see what the options are and update you all - I know how much I have relied on information from these forums for other things to do with bunnies!

So took the bun to the vets last night. Just to keep bathing his eyes and putting some vaseline on the fur to keep his skin dry. The vet is going to speak to some people at the local vet school (rabbit experts) on Friday in case they know what way to go so will hopefully get a phonecall. It certainly looks like an tooth root impaction just what tooth we don't know (would need xrays). It doesn't bother him yet so there is no rush to make him a gummy bunny but don't want to let it go on too long if there is something that can be done.

Will keep you updated!

Back