• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've had to split my trio!! :-(

x-vic-x

Mama Doe
I came back from a 2 week holiday yesterday and knew instantly something was wrong with my 3. There hutch was a mess, and they are usually very clean and only use there litter tray. Hattie looked really sad and quiet, she has lost a little weight but nothing that worries me, she wasn't ill just not quite herself.

I sat watching them, for a few hours and Smudge was bullying Hattie alot, no fighting just plain bullying. Everytime Hattie went to the litter trays, water bowls or hay box, Smudge chased her away. She wouldn't let her rest, Hattie is such a gentle quiet bunny, she just runs away and hides in a corner.

I have separated them now, I know they might never bond again, but i have never seen Hattie so sad, even when they were first bonded she was never bullied. I will also be able to check to see if she is eating/drinking enough.

I am going to keep Hattie on her own for a few days to check she is eating and drinking ok, then i'll take her to the vets to get her checked over. i then need to decide what to do with her.

Does anyone have any idea why Smudge has suddenly decided to bully her?

I am sorry to hear that.

Where they outside? We had a few issues with Womble bullying Pinky but it was usually when the weather got hot as they can get grumpy like humans when too warm.

If she has lost weight it may be worth a quick check with vets. Maybe some worming meds or something. Apart from that you have our sympthies

Yes, she will definately be going to the vets. This is past just being grumpy with each other. What was worrying me the most is that Smudge wouldn't let Hattie have a drink, I even put an extra 2 bowls in so they had one each, but Smudge would just chase her away from all of them. :(

Yes, she will definately be going to the vets. This is past just being grumpy with each other. What was worrying me the most is that Smudge wouldn't let Hattie have a drink, I even put an extra 2 bowls in so they had one each, but Smudge would just chase her away from all of them. :(

Ah how sad :cry: You have done the right thing seperating them let us know what the vet says tho hun?

We have had two bonds break in this hot weather - a trio and a couple.

Both in part because the heat has caused health issues in the bun that then gets bullied.

We now have two slightly poorly singles inside.:( wondering about bonding them together as a couple when weather cooler as do not think either will re-bond with their original groups :(

Oh no :( Poor Hattie :( Rabbits hide illness really well, so Smudge may be picking up on Hattie being poorly :( I will have to pop round and see them all, let me know when your free? xXx

I feel so sorry for Hattie, she will be off to the vets as I have a feeling something might be wrong. :(

You can come around whenever, I have nothing at all planned all week. I'm sure Anya would like to see her Aunty Becky!!:D

Oh no :( poor you. How big is your accomodation? Perhaps Hattie is feeling off colour which is making Smudge go for her?

They have an 8 x 2 hutch in an 8 x 6 shed. I leave the hutch door open so they can come and go as they please. They also have a 8 x 4 run and get free range time daily.

They have an 8 x 2 hutch in an 8 x 6 shed. I leave the hutch door open so they can come and go as they please. They also have a 8 x 4 run and get free range time daily.

Oh they have loads of room then, perhaps the heat has made smudge grumpy?

Oh no, poor Hattie :(

Hope they do rebond for you once the weather is a little cooler and Hattie's had a health check, fingers crossed she's ok.

Back