• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fitting? Can anyone help?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Blackberry 3 year old male - who has been part blind and deaf since birth and seems to have deteriorated in terms of blindness in last weeks had a small fit this morning.

In talking to my partner he seems to have had one much earlier today and now while I watched just now.

The fit was as follows:
Was asleep: (having been quite happy that morning and eaten etc indoors bun, in cool north facing room)

Suddenly Thumped twice

Lifted up head at odd angle, tilted back, nose in air, and front left paw held up

Started to grind teeth

Was stiff when I tried to hold him

Circled a few times on the spot (3 times?)

Then went floppy (in my arms) and dribbled

After a minute or so of flop he ‘came too’ and seemed normal - washed himself and had something to eat.

Has anyone seen something like this before??

I have two rabbit savvy vets - one is on holiday until Weds the other off with a serious medical problem.

What should I do?? I could go to a less rabbit savvy vet at the same practice . .

Oh no! How terrible for you! I remember Pixie having a fit, and I was terrified! :(

Vibes for Blackberry! Not sure what you should do. I guess calling one of the other vets wouldn't hurt.

I've only ever the type of seizure where buns throw themselves about, but the stiffness definitely sounds like a fit.

Has anything happened recently that could possibly have caused it? i.e. operation, accident/head trauma, vaccinations, etc?

I'm not sure what could be done, perhaps diazepam or something similar (if that can be used in buns)?

No - he is EC positive as that was what caused the blindness etc at birth. I am wondering whether it is a flare up of that? Or a brain damage result o fthat which for some reason has not come u before.

I have panacur/lapizole and metacam here and am thinking of giving him some of both.

How scary for you. :( Sorry, no helpful advice, but wanted to send Blackberry my love. :love:

EC flare up is a possibility I suppose. Any sort of seizure fit is going to be neurological in origin, I don't know if this means there is suddenly new inflammation or this is just part of a progressive process he is already predisposed to, or there is something else causing this, trauma, tumour etc.
I think he needs a vet check up when you can.

So sorry, must have been frightening to watch. :cry: Hope he is ok xx

Poor Blackberry, defiantely sounds like a fit, they can vary so much. I would defiantely start panacur and metacam asap.

The problem with taking him to a vet is that there is very little they can do. Once they are out of the fit there is generally nothing to see :?

Sounds like it may be the EC. This happened to Shaun who was also partially blind at birth (and had EC), also happened to his sister.

big vibes to him and hugs to you.
i would give him a dose of panacur and metacam and monitor him
after any animal has a fit the vets will suggest leaving them until they are completly calm before checking them over. though a ring to you vets would be worth it, maybe leave a message for the rabbit savvy vet to give you a call as soon as he is back form holiday.

Back