PDA

View Full Version : I don't now what to do about Alice



ShivyRex
28-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Hi all

Well I'm not sure what to do about Alice's treatment. Alice saw the vet last Thurs and she was given a steroid injection (not sure of the name). To be honest I can't see any difference in her breathing an she continues to lose weight - I can feel every vertebrae in her back.

So do I continue to ask for the steroid even though it doesn't appear to be doing much or do I let nature take it's course with this horrible parasite eating away at her (the cancer).*

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Shiv & Alice

Blackberry & Co
28-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Sorry to hear Alice isn't responding to the steroid. I haven't got any useful advice, I'm afraid, but wanted to send you and Alice good wishes x

fluffiebunnie
28-06-2010, 08:16 AM
I am sorry Alice is unwell :( I am rubbish at helping, but just wanted to say I am thinking of you and Alice x

donnamt
28-06-2010, 08:20 AM
i had this dilema with pearl and pretty much asked the forum too. the general answer was keep up treatment or pts :(

i know the illnesses are different but while there is treatment available to make my pet as comfy as possible until the end i would grasp it with both hands.

i hope the weather cools down so that Alice can have some respite and enjoy what is left of her life

im sorry the drugs appear not to be working but she could be so much worse without them :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Jack's-Jane
28-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Shiv Meg did not respond to Steroids either.
I just allowed nature to take it's course, she had Metacam daily but apart from that it was TLC and any food she fancied.

She went off dry food first, then hay. In her final days all she fancied was grass and weeds. As her enthusiasm for this began to diminish, but before she actually stopped eating I let her go. Meg never got to the 'mouth breathing' stage and I am grateful for that.

I am thinking of you and of Alice xx

giantbunnymummy
28-06-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm so sorry :( It's such a very hard decision to make.
My o/h and I are in a similar position with our dog, but we've made our decision with our vet's support, and decided the kindest thing to do for him is let him go this week :cry:

Sending vibes to you and Alice.

Sky-O
28-06-2010, 09:35 AM
I think that whatever decision you make, it won't be wrong. You could continue treatment with the things you know she needs and 'experiment' with the steroids if you feel she is still lively and wants to fight, but equally, if you let her go then you would be allowing her a dignified and comfortable end after a long hard battle.

Thinking of you both.

ShivyRex
28-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Thank you all for your responses - it's really helped me.

Jane - I think Alice and Meg experienced the same illness by the sound if things. Bless their hearts.

I think I will take her back next Thurs if she doesn't deteriorate before then for another steroid injection.

They are all booked into boarding next weekend as I have to attend my sisters wedding in London. If she's still here I'm not sure what to do - she hasn't been vaccinated so not sure they'd take her anyway but I'm not sure the stress is worth it. I have a neighbour who said she would feed them if I went away and she has had bunnies before but as Alice is so poorly and Winter recently having stasis I'm not sure what to do. Any advice there? I'd drop them off Friday afternoon and collect them Sunday afternoon.