• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice required please :)

cloughie

Banned
Hey :wave: I have just bonded my buns *touch wood* and will soon to be looking into getting a play house and attached run set up.

I hoping my OH and his dad will build the play house for me, trouble is that his dad is having trouble getting his head around things and I just want to show him other people's comments to prove that what I'm saying is't a load of codswallop :lol: so if anyone can help it'd be appreciated :)

I am thinking of getting either of these play houses

http://www.waltons.co.uk/waltons-snug-playhouse-4x4

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Playhouses/Mad-Dash-Bunny-Playhouse

Questions (thus far :lol:) are:

1. Both are tongue and groove - will they leak water in (my dad reckons they will as water will get throuh the tongue and groove 'gaps'?) - will it/ has anyone experienced this?

2. The wood is not strong enough to a) have a hole cut out of it for a cat flap and b) cannot support the weight of a catflap being attached...is a) and b) true or false?

3) how would you make the hole in the side for a cat flap

4) how do you attach a cat flap

5) what do you 'stand' your play house on? straight onto slabs (will be on a patio), on top of bricks? on top of a wooden base with support beams underneath?

Any advice? :) :wave:

sorry i have no answers to any of these as mine are house bunnies but just wanted to say good luck with it :)

Tongue and groove is the best for not leaking, it's the overlap cheaper types that tend to leak (well that's been my experience with sheds!).

The wood is plenty strong enough for a catflap, fitting instructions are included with the catflap.

The playhouse will be fine directly onto slabs, leaving a gap underneath could possibly allow rats/mice to set up home.

Good luck with it!

I would've thought that if the playhouse was directly on the patio then rain water could seep underneath gradually and over time rot the floor away? :? :wave:

Thanks *lily*

I've found that the biggest problem re. leaking is that rain water runs off the roof and splashes on the patio, which causes damp patches on the sides of the playhouse. Adding guttering should minimize this happening though.

Make sure you paint it with a good quality water-proof paint (or add linseed oil to cheaper paint to make it repell water).

Cat flaps are easy to install, but you will need a jig-saw to do it.

I would've thought that if the playhouse was directly on the patio then rain water could seep underneath gradually and over time rot the floor away? :? :wave:

Thanks *lily*

I had no problems myself. We had the shed for 2 years and never treated it ourselves, it was just pretreated before we bought it and stayed bone dry through all weathers!

Back