• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One food bowl or two for two buns?

Hedwiga05

Young Bun
Next weekend, i'm going shopping for all my bunny stuff like water bottles etc. I'm just stuck on whether to get two bowls for food or one? One for each bun, or one for them to share? And either way, how do I make sure each bun only eats their bit, and doesn't gobble loads up and leave the other bun with little left to eat?:?

How does everyone else manage this, those with two buns or more?:?

Thanks!:)

EDIT!!: Thank you everyone for your replies!:D I made my decision and I've got two separate bowls now, plus i'll try scatterfeeding. Thanks again for the advice...:)

Last edited:
I would suggest scatter feeding, or hiding their food because that's far more fun and stimulating. Bowls definitely have their place though. There is no way to ensure it unless you hand feed each rabbit what you want them to have though.

If they are already bonded, then ask whoever you are getting them from how they feed and how much they give because they should already have it all worked out so that the buns get the right amount.

Mine share a bowl, they both eat their breakfast as soon as it goes in their hutch, so I can see they are both getting their fair share.

I also got them two water bottles, but they ignore the upstairs one, and only drink out of the downstairs one :lol:

Mine shared, but I put less than their full food in and then snuck them their own little bits too so that I knew they were getting extra

Mine share a bowl

I watch them! They're pretty good with sharing though. You'll just have to watch your buns and see if they're getting on

Mine share a bowl. make sure you do plenty of hand-feeding and scatter-feeding too though! :)

Mine don't have a food bowl. They have a big water bowl for them to share though

I tend to either hand feed them or leave stuff across the kitchen floor for them to eat (they still always seem to want whatever the other one has in their mouth though :roll: )

We have a trio and scatter feed, that way they all get a portion rather than one bullying the other out of their bowl cos they eat faster than the others.

All my feeding bowls have been switched to water bowls as scatter-feeding is the best way I found it to work :wave: although it's not without it's own problems, Sora does her best attempt to immediatly sniff out where the majority of the pellets are and sits on top of them munching so she can be sure to hog as many as she can for her eating pleasure :roll: (luckily she doesn't notice I hand-feed Smudgie the ones he's missing out on ;) )

Back