• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter trays

weeble

I currently use litter trays with a layer of newspaper followed by a layer of megazorb and then hay. I am finding that I am going through a lot of megazorb however and am wondering if newspaper and hay would be ok?

Does any one else do this? I have a huge supply of newspaper so this wouldnt be an issue :D

I use megazorb and hay, no newspaper. I only put a thin layer in and we go through a bag a month approx.

I have to use newspaper in some of the litter trays of mine because they eat the wood pellet litter :roll: It works fine, I find.

i use just newspaper and hay :wave:

George likes to chew newspaper, but he doesn't chew the newspaper in the littertray, as i only line the bottom with no newspaper sticking up the sides etc for him to chew.

I use megazorb and hay, no newspaper. I only put a thin layer in and we go through a bag a month approx.

This is what I do too.

I tried the newspaper with no Megazorb and hated the smell of the wet newspaper and the way it kind of dripped off when I changed it *puke*!

I prefer to use megasorb or bed o linum as it helps keep any smell down and draws the moisture away rather than just using newspaper which gets wet instantly and imo leads to a risk of attracting flies. Even if you religiously clean your litter trays out every day, there is still a long time and enough time, between changes for the damage to be done by flies being attracted to the smell of wet urine on newspaper.

This is what I do too.

I tried the newspaper with no Megazorb and hated the smell of the wet newspaper and the way it kind of dripped off when I changed it *puke*!

Ew, yeah, I think I tried that once and had a similar experience!

I find I don't need newspaper at all as it goes straight onto the compost and the megazorb just all comes out in a clump then I swirl the boxes with water. I guess if I was having to put it in a bag I would find paper helpful to get it out the box.

Thanks guys - I'm going to give it a go. I am also trialing an outside litter tray too as im ending up with a pretty mucky corner of the run :roll:

I do megazorb and hay, cos they make a particular corner in each tray really soggy, so that gets an extra high pile of megazorb, and just a thin coating on the other bits.

DO you completely empty the tray every day? I use a layer of newspaper, then a thick layer of megazorb, and just clean out the dirty corner one day, then change it the next day.

xxx

DO you completely empty the tray every day? I use a layer of newspaper, then a thick layer of megazorb, and just clean out the dirty corner one day, then change it the next day.

xxx

I clear out the soggy corner every day, and gather poops from the rest, and clean it fully every 3 days, cos once the poops are picked out the rest of the megazorb is still clean.

I use newspaper and then kitty litter made from 100% recycled newspaper products. No hay. I scoop out the mucky bits once a day, and completely change every 3 days. Her hay is adjacent to the litter tray and I give her a HUGE pile (2 or 3 biscuits at least all poofed up) for her to burrow through. The reason I use newspaper is because her urine is very corrosive and was eating away at the bottom of her plastic tray, plus it means that I can roll it all up in one bundle and chuck it out.

I clear out the soggy corner every day, and gather poops from the rest, and clean it fully every 3 days, cos once the poops are picked out the rest of the megazorb is still clean.

Exactly! This is a much clearer explanation of what I do lol, except I fully clean it every other day. Although I've now got them a bigger tray, so maybe I could spread it out to 2 or even 3 days!

What a dream! :D

xxx

I was doing this but in this hot weather I am starting to do mosty of the tray each day

I was doing this but in this hot weather I am starting to do mosty of the tray each day

I would, but most of the poops are in the hay, which I lift out, and just a few stray ones drop through, and they really do only use one corner for weeing (bless em!), but even if I fully cleaned them every day the megazord would be loads cheaper than the Carefresh I used to use.

I would, but most of the poops are in the hay, which I lift out, and just a few stray ones drop through, and they really do only use one corner for weeing (bless em!), but even if I fully cleaned them every day the megazord would be loads cheaper than the Carefresh I used to use.
Oh sorry hun I didnt mean you werent doing it right - my lot are just messy and destrutive

i use just newspaper and hay... i never got on with megazorb at all.. pearl used to dig it out so i was worried about her eating it

Back