• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any advice i can give to a woman on freecycle( her bunnies dying from heat)

karen354

Warren Veteran
A woman on freecycle is asking for a double sheet to cover her hutches as her baby bunnies are dying from the heat :cry:
I know it's been hot but all my buns have been just fine, plenty of shade, water and frozen bottles..

Shall I reply to her with this advice or is there anything else I can suggest?

Tell her to move the hutch into a more shaded area if possible and offer water in small, bowls as well as in bottles.

Also, soaking old towels/net curtains and pegging them over part of the mesh will cool them down. When it gets really hot, I 'water' the playhouse to cool it down (obviously without soaking the rabbits).

Poor bunnies, I hope they are OK.

Tell her to move the hutch into a more shaded area if possible and offer water in small, bowls as well as in bottles.

Also, soaking old towels/net curtains and pegging them over part of the mesh will cool them down. When it gets really hot, I 'water' the playhouse to cool it down (obviously without soaking the rabbits).

Poor bunnies, I hope they are OK.

2 have died :cry:

Give her details to the RSPCA. I seriously doubt she can't afford to buy a sheet from wilkinsons or somewhere. What an irresponsible woman.

Perhaps she could bring them (and mum) indoors to a cooler quiet room if she hasn't any shady area in the garden?

She could use any large item, tablecloth, duvet cover, coat, towels (peg together) to make shade.

Wet the area around hutch if its paved/concrete as this is cooling.

Give a shallow bowl of water to encourage hydration.

:cry:

give the bunnies wet greens or small slices of apple -put in front of them-wet grass etc, if they are so poorly they are dying, they may be too weak to get up to a water bottle.

Also the water in the water bottle may be warm or hot. Change the water in bowls water bottle frequently.

fill a plastic bottle with crushed ice (with secure lid) and wrap in a teacloth and put in hutch.

get them to a vet in case its not the heat causing the problem

I hope the others will survive -sue

Give her details to the RSPCA. I seriously doubt she can't afford to buy a sheet from wilkinsons or somewhere. What an irresponsible woman.

north wales can be rather rural and there may not be shops open on a sunday or she may have no transport to go buy a sheet. (Though I would say take the sheet off her own bed-it can be washed later.)sue

How can she possible leave them outside when they're dying!? Why hasn't she brought them inside the house in the shade??

Words fail me......

I agree, sounds a bit odd to me, maybe a way of selling more of them if people think they are dying where they are. Either way no excuse for it.

There is always a way to keep them cool, bring them into the house!
wet sheets, ice pods, there is no excuse! :censored:

Ditto to what vickip has said. xxxxxx

hope she has managed to keep the babies cool. i'd happily take the sheet off my own bed if that was all i could do to try to save my animals:?

I've sent her a message this morning telling her what she can do to help the babies.. Where she lives is about 30 minutes away from me and a really busy shopping town so she'd of been able to walk to the shops.. I don't know her address to pass it on to the rspca, she has posted a message on freecycle so it doesn't give anyones address..
I hope she's took notice of what I've said to her but some how I doubt it :roll::cry:

keeping bunnies cool
ice packs
frozen bottles
wet towels over hutch
fans
tiles in hutches
ice cubes or veggie lollys
hosing down the hutch
keep it in the shade
sad to say it doesnt matter how much you do sometimes you can still loose them in this very hot weather :cry:

well done karen for trying to help, do you think its a cry for help from her to say she cant cope and would someone take them off her hands?

if you want to message her we can try and find a local rescue that will rehome them? I am happy to ring around for you.

Back