• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help

Lil_Luci

Mama Doe
I've recently aquired a second bunny, and am hoping to bond her with Gizmo as soon as possible. I currently have them in separate NIC cube set ups, joined to each other. There had been lots of sniffing through the bars, and they have both been flopping out next to each other through the bars.
Last night I woke up to a huge crash and lots of stamping, went downstairs, and my teeny tiny daisy had somehow jumped over her 2 cube high divider and was in with gizmo, chasing him around! She's about half the size of him, and normally very timid, while he's a big grunty monster!
Her side now has a lid on to ensure she doesnt attempt it again, because I'm worried he'll just turn on her and they'll hurt each other.

I move into a new house thursday, which will be completely neutral, which I know is the best way to bond, but I have no idea how to go about it! And I'm quite nervous about it if i'm honest! Does anyone have any tips/ dos and don'ts? Or does anyone know of anywhere in or around Cardiff that would bond them for me?
Thanks in advance :)

It's hard to do, but I found that being relaxed kept the bunnys relaxed.

A new house is about as neutral as you can get :lol:

Don't have loads of bonding tips as mine just fell in love despite not being in a neutral place at all :lol:

there didnt appear to be any biting or anything the time she super hopped into his side, but I think he was more surprised than anything, he hasn't been around another rabbit in nearly 3 years! I was intending to wait until she was a bit bigger, as he is a big bruiser, but she seems to have decided that she wants to be friends right now :lol::lol: Lucky he's been neutered for about 2 years!
I think I remember reading its best to start in a small space? but how small? I don't want them to be cramped!

I bonded mine in a cage thats just under 4ft long and 2ft wide. Big enough that they could sit at seperate ends, small enough that they couldn't fight/ignore each other fully.
My Mable was half the size of Charlie, and they got along well. I think with her being small, it made Charlie less nervous (he'd been bullied by another bunny).
It was just heartbreaking to see my lump of a boy hump my tiny innocent baby girl :shock:

From the looks of things, it'll be tiny daisy doing the humping!
What would I do, just make up the cage, put them both in and just let them get on with it? :?
I'm worried I would confuse aggression and just normal bonding behaviour and affect them bonding by separating them etc.

Back