• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my bunnies after vaccination!!!!!

xsmegalx

New Kit
hello
my two bunnies who are just over 8 weeks old had their vaccinations 2 days ago, and since then they are not eating much and are generally quite miserable???!!
is this normal are they meant to feel a bit rough after the jabs or do i need to take them back to vet!!
also its been really hot today and they looked like they were to hot so i brought them in as its quite cool inside and put a bowl of cold water for them instead of their bottle so they could cool themselves... are there any other ways of keeping them cool!!???
tbanks jessx

Well as long as they are eating and pooing thats all that matters, my charlie was very quiet and subdued after him for a whole day he really worried me.xxxxxxxxx

whch vaccinations did they have?

They should be fine with myxi but if they had VHD they may feel bad depending on which vaccine they had. They should not have had both myxi and vhd in one go . . ..

They both had the myxi only. The boy seems to be ok now. But the girl seems a bit down and she is usually quite a piggy with her food but she doesn't seem intersted which is quite worrying??

does anyone know if there can be side effects from the myxi vaccination, one of my bunnies seems quite unwell, not eating and a bit lethargic where as the other one seems fine! she got quite stressed at the vets, he tried to look at her teeth and she screamed at him, coud this have anything to do with her not feeling well,
really dont kno what do cause dont want to take her to vets as she does not like it and cause more stress, but obviously if she needs to go, she has to go
i think i might be over paranoid because i recently just lost a young bun as i was sold a very sick one and i thought we could get him better. so over worried about my little girl now
help!!!

If she screamed at the vets I'm surprised the vet just stopped looking there and let her go home! Surely screaming should have told him there could be something wrong there?
If she's not eating, she will need to go back to the vets. I hope she's ok!

my beautiful baby died today, she wasnt to bad last night and was munching on a few things but only a little and was going to take her in the next morning, but by the morning i knew there was something badly wrong, so i rushed her in, she started fitting and bleeding from the mouth in the car, she made it to the vets but then died a little while later.
the vet said it was the stress from the vaccination and resprioty problems.
feel totally awful and guilty, i lost another baby rabbit last week but that was from a farm and was sold to me already very ill.
but kekio was so was a fat healthy little greedy girl until her vaccination,
not having much luck at all
will focus on making sure gimli, my other bunny, is going to beok and keep a close eye on him.
jessx

my beautiful baby died today, she wasnt to bad last night and was munching on a few things but only a little and was going to take her in the next morning, but by the morning i knew there was something badly wrong, so i rushed her in, she started fitting and bleeding from the mouth in the car, she made it to the vets but then died a little while later.
the vet said it was the stress from the vaccination and resprioty problems.
feel totally awful and guilty, i lost another baby rabbit last week but that was from a farm and was sold to me already very ill.
but kekio was so was a fat healthy little greedy girl until her vaccination,
not having much luck at all
will focus on making sure gimli, my other bunny, is going to beok and keep a close eye on him.
jessx

im so sorry for your loss yes in answer to your question before yes there are loads of side effects including giving your rabbit myxi which kills it ! this happened to our school rabbits :? i dont trust the vaccination for myxi at all especially since it is not 100% your rabbit still can get myxi and still dies from it i lost 2 rabbits to the myxi jab they were happy healthy rabbits 24 hours after jabs they were dead my other 2 were very poorly, i know 12 rabbits that have had the jab and died from myxi, 2 that were given myxi by the jab and died and now with yours 8 including my 2 that dropped dead within 24 hours of having it :shock:
oh other side effects are infertility, local reaction to injection site , loss of weight, anorexia ( dont want to eat ) been quiet and uninterested in anything just to name a few :roll: speak to your vet they should give you full list of side effects
ann x

Last edited:
xsmegalx: I am extremely sorry that you lost your bun in this way and can imagine how very bad you feel. Please take comfort in knowing that you were trying to do your best for her..

Is there any chance at all she might have been slightly ill beforehand? Any vaccine will make an already ill animal feel worse. The myxi vaccine does not in fact contain myxi it contains a related virus and cannot therefore actually give your rabbt myxi. Reactions to the myxi vaccine are much rarer than to the other main vaccines for rabits (VHD vaccines) and personally I have not heard of any. Without the vaccine a rabbit that catches myxi is extremely unlikely to survive it, with the vaccine (if properly given including the intra-dermal portion) they have a good chance of survival even if they develop symptoms. Infertility as a side effect is only an issue with breeders.

However it is always good to discuss possible side effects with vets as then you can be prepared and watch out for adverse signs.

Thinking of you.

Hello everyone,
My bunnies were vaccinated yesterday morning. Against myxi. They are 8 weeks old. One seems poorly; i haven't had rabbits before do i'm hoping someone can reassure me. The vet said 'watch out for breathing difficulties' for the next few hours. So i did! But he never said anything about a bunny that has simply sat, since this time yesterday, virtually motionless? Is this just 'feeling sorry for yourself' or something else? I have looked underneath and it is pooping, but it won't eat. It looks o.k; eyes bright, etc, its just motionless. What do you think? It cost £50 yesterday and i don't want to take it back for the vet to say 'give it a couple of days and it'll be fine' and charge me another bill for 20 seconds of advice, as i'm not able to afford it. But if they need to go back, I will take them. The other one is as right as rain. Also, i am now scared to take it for it's next injection in 4 weeks because it might do the same again??

Back