• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

first house rabbit!!!

jody

Alpha Buck
Im about to embark on my first house rabbit, and i cant wait , have done alot of reading up on the needs, but just wondered if anyone had any top tips or do's and dont's??
thank you :wave::wave:

If you put chocolate on the tree at christmas, keep them high up! ;)

Don't leave ANYTHING edible around!

Ditto re the wires

Make sure you always look down at the floor when you're walking around the house (flashbacks of bunnies flying across the room! :lol:)

Don't buy anything expensive - it'll just be chewed
Don't expect to ever sit down and relax again - you'll be jumped on
Don't expect to be able to eat in peace - meals are no longer your own
Don't expect to be able to sit in your fave place ever again - bunny will decide to own it
Don't bother spending hours cleaning - bunny will like mess

They're a joy, honestly :lol:

Get used to the fact that there will be hay EVERYWHERE.

Also be prepared for a lot of joy :love::love::love: K-factor just hops in and out, like a sweetie.

Be prepared to change your duvet at least twice due to rabbit wee being spread over it. I learnt this the hard way! :roll::lol:

Keep an eye on all books/magazines etc. Pie loves to chew books and cardboard more than anything. She ended up in stasis becasue of it :(

Dont be suprised when you come home to a half eaten sofa which originally cost £3000!! :shock: Dont expect to have anything nice anymore! Ive give up on our house now, its not the rabbits that live with me, its me that lives with the rabbits!! x

Dont be suprised when you come home to a half eaten sofa which originally cost £3000!! :shock: Dont expect to have anything nice anymore! Ive give up on our house now, its not the rabbits that live with me, its me that lives with the rabbits!! x

Hmmm...our house is now decorated and furnished with items from ebay and carboots! :roll:

Oh and be prepared to start getting rid of everything. You'll start thinking "well, if I moved those drawers, bunny could have _____ and I don't really NEED them anymore..."

Expect to find poos in various places..... and *don't* buy anything made of seagrass! Our seagrass waster paper basket is now just a metal frame with a few sad remaining strands...... :roll:

Ditto the bunnies under your feet thing - they seem to be there when you least expect it!

Hay, hay and more hay everywhere as said lol. Oh, and fur..... :lol:

Thanks guys! im sure the love they give more than makes up for all the mess etc!! :D:lol: He will be safely in a large pen when im out :)

They can fit in much smaller gaps then you'd expect, and once they find a "project" they are determined to finish it.

My Bridge bun Crumpet used to LOVE getting behind the TV, used to shock himself and everything from chewing the wires, but still made it his mission to get behind there, no matter what we put in the way :lol::love:

They can fit in much smaller gaps then you'd expect, and once they find a "project" they are determined to finish it.

My Bridge bun Crumpet used to LOVE getting behind the TV, used to shock himself and everything from chewing the wires, but still made it his mission to get behind there, no matter what we put in the way :lol::love:

I second that!

Be pepared for visitors to wrinkle their noses and say 'um, what's that smell?!'

It doesn't seem to matter how sparkling fresh you keep the trays, rabbits seem to spread their own particular odour everywhere they go!

Oh, and hay/poo/woodshavings/bunny fluff in the bed will become a normal part of daily living. :D

Back