• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye Membrane Help (red, looks sore)

tigerangel

Warren Veteran
I've just spotted this on Sora, the usually-white membrane in the front corner of one of her eyes is quite pink and I can see a few blood vessels :? It's literally appeared during today, it was fine this morning. There is no discharge, or evidence of any discharge that I can see and the rest of her eye looks fine, no noticable swelling...

eye.jpg

Any ideas? I've not experienced this before... is this something I need to get an emergency appointment for?

I'm worried sick about it being early myxi signs or tooth elongation symptoms :cry: She is fully vaccinated but due her 6-month myxi booster next week, she had a some spurs burred down this time last year just after we got her and her teeth were ok in January and March - she was due another teeth-check when she went for her booster next week, though her teeth problems were always on the other side :(

Last edited:
It looks like her third eyelid is a little inflamed and has moved partially across the eye. this can occur with inflammation (dust/hay irritating the sensitive third eyelid) or if her eye itself is sore (painful eyes are pulled deeper into the socket by muscles behind the eye, indirectly pushing the third eyelid across). If she is behaving normally, especially in terms of activity and appetite then I wouldn't panic. It doesn't appear like myxi and is likely a reaction to an irritant or possibly a mild infection. Other more serious problems with her circulation or teeth could be responsible but tend to have other symptoms clearly shown.
If she seems unwell in herself at any point or her eye looks worse (especially if the front of the eye appears uneven) then call your vets and discuss whether an emergency appointment is needed. If it hasn't resolved by itself Monday then book her in for a check over.
Marie

Hi there. Poppy had this a few weeks ago - looked identical to your pic. We very carefully checked under her regular eyelid and bathed it with some cooled boiled water on a piece of cotton wool - and a little shard of hay popped out from the corner of her eye, must have irritated her third eyelid in a similar way. She was back to normal by the morning. Hoping it all clears up quickly, eyes have a way of sorting themselves out provided it is nothing too serious. But do follow Marie's advice if it is still inflammed or looks worse tomorrow.

Back