• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Bonding injury (Few updates and pics - page 10)

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
I did a silly thing today. I let them in the study after spraying some vinegar around. Went downstairs for literally two minutes while Mum was up here and they did some chasing.

Only problem is...

One of them has pulled at Nutmeg's fur and there is about an inch long area by her hind leg where it looks like the skin has been pulled back. There is no blood at all but she's not putting that foot down entirely properly, ie, like the other one. Trinity vets is now closed so I phoned up the emergency vets and they said to keep an eye on her, if she's eating and the lameness doesn't go away to take her in. She's done this before with her front foot. Just caught it a bit and not put it down properly initially but then been ok later on.

I'm going to take her to Trinity tomorrow morning if we don't take her to the emergency vets.

She's a bit quiet but then I've been holding her for about 10 minutes and had her on her back trying to get a look at it so that's not really surprising. Gave her a pellet which she took willingly and eagerly so she's eating.

Last edited:
Has any skin been pulled off? If so I'd be tempted to give it a little clean to be sure and then keep an eye on her, try and tempt her to walk about infront of you every now and then so you can keep checking it

Hope it's nothing

Is the flap of skin thats been pulled back still attached? or has it come off completely? I had a similar thing with Ronnie when he was little, the flap of skin was still attached and he had to have it re - stitched. Lola also had a similar thing but the skin had been totally pulled off and she was just given abx.

I hope your bunny will be ok :( These things happen ((hugs)) xXx

It's still attached. There is kinda a small pouch between two layers of skin, does that make sense? Nothing is exposed.

You can't see it unless you pick her up and have a look, the only outward sign is her not putting the foot down properly and a small tuft of fur out of place.

She's tucking into parsley and spring green right now.

Hello :wave:
I wouldnt worry too much hun, it sounds like a superficial wound (the kind of thing that if it was on us we wouldnt bat an eyelid but because its on one of our buns its a huge worry!:roll:)
Obviously its worth popping her to the vets tomorrow anyway just to make sure but Im sure its fine :)
Are they still getting along ok?
xxx

bloke at work swears by iodine spray for little cuts and scratches to keep infection away... ive not managed to find any but he said he got it from a supermarket :wave::wave:

I think it's probably superficial too. If she was putting her foot down I wouldn't be very worried about it.

Nutmeg's a little jumpy so when one of the others comes up a bit quick she moves. She's often like that though.

It's such a shame cos earlier they were all flopped out together. :?

It's probably a bit sore, like if we scrape a bit of skin off it stings.
It might be that when she puts her foot down, she can feel it stretch or something and it aches, instead of it being a proper injury?

Yeh shes probably just abit sore, probably bruised. The good thing is that the skin isnt broken so hopefully by tommorrow she'll be putting the weight back on it again :)
Vibes for Meggys leggy xxxx

Whilst it may look superficial it does need thorough cleaning as bites have a nasty habit of abscessating. Also, if you look into the 'pouch' can you see muscle ?

Hope it's just a scrape.

I had a problem with a bonding recently where one of the buns got one of the females by her hind leg and woudln't let go. I had to prize his mouth open to retrieve it.

She didn't have any cuts but he'd obviously done something as she went lame and very flat on her feet. After a vet visit and confirmation that it wasn't dislocated or obviously fractured, we gave pain relief and watched. Sadly she didn't improve and she needed xrays under GA. Turns out she has had the muscle/tendon detached from the leg and that is why it wasn't working.

It's healing okay, but I guess I am just saying keep a close eye on your bun's movement and if it doesn't seem a problem, great, but a vet trip if she doesn't improve quickly to be safe.

Helen

Whilst it may look superficial it does need thorough cleaning as bites have a nasty habit of abscessating. Also, if you look into the 'pouch' can you see muscle ?

It's difficult to see in there, she hates me touching it. (ETA. Actually she doesn't mind me touching it, she hates me picking her up to look at it more.) I don't think I saw muscle but I don't know what it looks like.

Last edited:
Also she's been using it to itch her ear and moving it to clean her toes. She's also been trying to clean the fur that's out of place. I stopped her and now she's flopped out again, like the others.

Awwww:( half wished I hadn't read this one, I am really sorry that's happened, it's not your fault though, just one of those things, I do hope the little cutie will be alright for you x

Still not putting full weight on it. She's moving around and jumping in and out of litter trays ok.

Awwww:( half wished I hadn't read this one, I am really sorry that's happened, it's not your fault though, just one of those things, I do hope the little cutie will be alright for you x

Thank you. Really wish I'd waited until the room was fully done now though. :( Just wanted to give them a bit more room for running around. :?

Back