• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not speaking to me

Lynsy

Young Bun
Long story short, had Paula to the vets yesterday to be spayed. Shes a rescue bun, previous owner did not bother with her at all. She used to come to me for a stroke and would snuggle up to my legs, but hated being picked up.

I picked her up yesterday at 4pm, and she hid in a corner of her run right up until this morning. Ive managed to coax her out, but everytime I go near her she's whimpering, she's really scared of me :(

It took forever for her to be my friend and now Im back to square one.

Should I leave her be? or what? Ive tried bribeing her with some veg and fruit but she wont eat from me. She eats it from her bowl, but not from my hand like she used to.

Do you think she'll come round?

I have a feeling you will know when she is ready,

It does depend on how she was treated at the vets too, maybe she became very scared given her background im not surprised

Id give her time, lie by her cage and just talk to her in calming tones, etc as long as shes eating and drinking im sure you will bring her round again, :D

was she given any form of painkiller when she left the vet yesterday, shes just had an ivasive op shes most likely very tender

Give her a little bit longer and the perhaps sit by/in her cage and read a book out loud with some veggies and stuff and just let her come to you when she is ready! Also agree about pain relief, she may be really uncomfortable.

Awww. She's only just had the op, so it will take a while for her to recover and 'forgive' you, though she will of course! Back off a bit for a few days, then try gradually with the hand feeding again. You'll be friends again soon, don't worry! :)

Long story short, had Paula to the vets yesterday to be spayed. Shes a rescue bun, previous owner did not bother with her at all. She used to come to me for a stroke and would snuggle up to my legs, but hated being picked up.

I picked her up yesterday at 4pm, and she hid in a corner of her run right up until this morning. Ive managed to coax her out, but everytime I go near her she's whimpering, she's really scared of me :(

It took forever for her to be my friend and now Im back to square one.

Should I leave her be? or what? Ive tried bribeing her with some veg and fruit but she wont eat from me. She eats it from her bowl, but not from my hand like she used to.

Do you think she'll come round?

It's a really big op for a bunny and some take several days to really get over it. It's totally normal for them to be very very quiet and withdrawn for a few days, less sure about the whimpering though. Eating and pooing are the most important things now, and pain relief if she appears to be uncomfortable.

Really dont worry,bless her she is probably feeling quite frightened after all she has been through.
Try not to show her your anguish, she will come round. Just show her you do not mean her harm, talk to her softly and as has been said before read a book to her.

Thank you all again.

Ive only been a member for a few weeks and I all I seem to do is moan! lol

Ive been sat outside with her, and shes eating well and lieing down fine. She's walking around rather than hopping so maybe she is in a bit of discomfort, although vet did say she'd had painkillers and wouldnt need anymore.

Ill just give her some space, but also remind her I am here. Ive been on my hands and knees best part of the day trying to talk her round. She may be a tad bored with my voice by now, but Im defo gonna go and sit outside with her.

xxx

She will need to sleep and get over the anathestic too. It does sound like she is in pain. I don't know why vets think rabbits don't need much pain medication. If you think that the same operation in a woman (i.e. a hysterectomy) would mean the woman was on pain killers for a long time; its a very different story.

It will take a few days for her to come round and bounce back (although she will bounce back quicker if she was not in pain), so be patient.

Its massive surgery. She'll need some time.

You know, I too was shocked at the lack of after care. Having been a cat owner for years, the after care they receive is massively different. Poor bunnies! :(

Paula is alot, lot happier today, Im happy to report. Shes still not hopping around like mad, but thats understandable, but she came to me for a cuddle this morning :love: so I think she maybe on the road to forgiving me.

Thank you all once again xxxx

I'm glad she is feeling better :)

Many 'old school' and less 'rabbit savvy' vets don't give pain meds because rabbits are silent and a prey species so don't show their pain, which makes the uneducated think that they are not in pain because they aren't showing it.

I'm just glad she is on the road to recovery :)

Back