• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh No, Please help, Emily has an ear infection

Bungle bunny

Mama Doe
We took Emily for her mixi jab today. I have noticed that she was acting a bit different over the last couple of days so I asked the vet to give her a good check over, especially her ears. Our poor little gil has an ear infection. There was lots of gunk in it.

After reading some info about ear infections, I am even more worried because she has not been given Baytril. The vet gave her Surolan, is for cats and dogs, not bunnies.

Can anyone give me any advice? Should I take her to another vet?

Help, please.

Thanks

Angela

Last edited:
I'm really sorry, I can't offer any advice but I'll try bumping this up and hopefully someone'll be able to help.
Lots of vibes for your bun

Is it an infection of the outer part of the ear, or was the gunk coming from deep inside the ear? What colour is the gunk and does it smell?

if it smells its inside the ear. bertie had baytril and ear drops first time..then drops after but every now and then i wonder if its smelly or just me!!:lol:

ear infections are soo hard to clear up..esp in lops:(

hope the treatment works. btw a dose of metacam eases earache too,

Definitely agree about the metacam - ear infections are really painful. When does your vet want to take her back to be checked? If she's not on painkillers insist on getting them this morning, unless her ear seems significantly better AND she's bright in herself. I'd be tempted to get some anyway to have on standby. :wave:

Hi :wave:
Its great that you caught Emilys ear infection early, they can get really really bad if they go unnoticed. Is it and outer or inner ear infection?
Ear infections can be very stubborn and in most cases Baytril isnt strong enough so Im glad your vet has gone down the Surolan route :)
Id get some Metacam in incase she goes off her food due to the pain.
Hope she gets better soon xxx

Aw, thanks everyone, I am relieved now about the surolan, we managed to give it to her this morning ok but then when I went back in the shed later she ran under her shelf so not sure how easy it wil be to give her the next dose shortly. She seems pretty bright and is eating well but we are keeping an eye on her.

The gunk was very white mostly but with some darker stuff too, I thought that the darker stuff must have been there a bit longer.

The vet said that its an out ear infection but she did seem to dig pretty deep when she was cleaning her.

There does not seem to be any bad smell either so I really am hoping that we caught it early.

Thanks again, I will keep you up to date with her progress

Im glad to hear its outer ear rather than inner which can be very nasty, and that shes well in herself :D
Giving meds can be a nightmare i know! if you're having real problems you could try sneakily mushing it in with some banana or adding abit of apple juice to sweeten it up abit.
Good luck :wave:

Im glad to hear its outer ear rather than inner which can be very nasty, and that shes well in herself :D
Giving meds can be a nightmare i know! if you're having real problems you could try sneakily mushing it in with some banana or adding abit of apple juice to sweeten it up abit.
Good luck :wave:

Thanks, I had thought of that but its for external use only. Boo. If she could eat it, she would, she is definately not off her food. She has had her second dose of the day and believe me, it was not easy, she hates been picked up or even stroked. I could never do it on my own.

She is never going to trust us again after this, poor little girl

Thanks, I had thought of that but its for external use only. Boo. If she could eat it, she would, she is definately not off her food. She has had her second dose of the day and believe me, it was not easy, she hates been picked up or even stroked. I could never do it on my own.

She is never going to trust us again after this, poor little girl

You'd be amazed how quickly animals forget about bad things - I had to pin my cat down and force eyedrops in his eye twice a day for two weeks... He HATED it and because the only way I could do it on my own was to pin him between my legs and basically sit on him :oops: Not hurting him of course.
But as soon as the eyedrops stopped, he forgot :D

Back