• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm allergic to my new piggies. What have I done??!!

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
I'm allergic to my new guineapigs!! It started with just a rash that I could live with. Now the more I handle them the worse it gets. I held them for just a few mins each tonight and my asthma is really bad. Have to take my inhaler!! I don't want to be one of those people who take on animal and then give them away!! They cant go back to the breeder - filthy, tiny cages!! What am I gonna do?? Can't live with asthma attacks for the next 5 years!! Oh what a mess!!!

Oh no! Poor you :( these piggies must have sent your stress levels sky high. Is it both of them now? x

Oh dear!
My sister only has to walk within a few feet of a GP and comes out in hives and a rash and sneezes her head off, but is fine with bunsters and other animals.

oh no :( Im in the same situation. I just rescued a one year old guinea pig, guinness. His previous owner was allergic to him also. I do have an allergy to sawdust and im hoping its that because im using it until the megazorb arrives. What do you use as bedding? I never realised until i got guinness how much they shed!! I know what you mean about the asthma though, i get quite weezy when i handle him and it is such an awful feeling.

I am like with with piggies :(, like REALLY bad, I can't even be in the same room as one now :(, or my athsma gets unbearable, and if I hold one .. I come out in these blister things :(

I have this problem too, my eyes swell up and itch like mad! I have only ever had to g/pigs one when I was really young with no probs and then about 10 years ago it was that bad that I had to give Sprite to a friend of my dads. I couldnt handle her without it flaring up, I felt really awful though so I know how you feel! :(

I;m allergic to guinea pigs too:cry: I can't cuddle them as they bring me out in a rash. I did have 2 rescue piggies for quite a while, just couldn't cuddle them. They didn't affect my breathing though - I can imagine that's tough.

No it's both! I held Penelope first and it started! I think what I'll have to do is get them out of the house - they can sleep in the summer house in the c&c cage and then out in their hutch during the day. If it is still a problem, I'll ask in the rescue if anyone is looking for guineapigs, would they give them my name and I might have to rehome them. Will try having them outside first - maybe that's all I need to do.

Oh friends arrived. have to go for a while speak later!

What a shame!! A friend of mine is terribly allergic to cats, we've been friends for years, and she's only been to my house once, stayed five minutes, and had an asthma attack :(

It might not be so bad if they're outside. It's not like you knew when you got them so don't feel too bad, you're not one of these 'the kids woke up one morning allergic to the rabbits' :( you can't compromise your health xx

i am allergic to mine, i have been for years. i wear long sleeves when handling them, if i cuddle them too enthusiastically and they touch my neck, the itchy rash disappears minits. Be carefull to wash your hands after touching them or if you rub your eyes they will become VERY itchy.
It is possible to care for and love a pet even though you are allergic to it.
Happy piggie days they are so cute:)

I'm allergic to everything furry but Guinea Pigs make me particularly bad. Having said that I had two for a few years!
I wore long sleeves etc when in contact with them and also wore a face mask when I was preggars and I couldnt take my antihistamine. When i was able to I used to take an antihistimine everyday so i didnt get symptoms, not sure if thats recommend though as a long term thing :?

oh no :( Im in the same situation. I just rescued a one year old guinea pig, guinness. His previous owner was allergic to him also. I do have an allergy to sawdust and im hoping its that because im using it until the megazorb arrives. What do you use as bedding? I never realised until i got guinness how much they shed!! I know what you mean about the asthma though, i get quite weezy when i handle him and it is such an awful feeling.

Sorry to tell you this - megazorb makes me worse!! I have them on an incontinence pad and fleece over that. Working quiet well.

I'm going to design them a really good hutch that they can live outside in. I'll get the man who made Benson and Lolas setup to build it for me and I'll keep them. I got em, I've got them used to a certain kind of lifestyle, they're my responsibility. They're stayin!! I'll just have to handle them less - they certainly wont mind that!!! Penelope Poop and Hazel Marigold aint goin anywhere! :D

I'm going to design them a really good hutch that they can live outside in. I'll get the man who made Benson and Lolas setup to build it for me and I'll keep them. I got em, I've got them used to a certain kind of lifestyle, they're my responsibility. They're stayin!! I'll just have to handle them less - they certainly wont mind that!!! Penelope Poop and Hazel Marigold aint goin anywhere! :D

Lucky guineas getting FOUR hutches! :shock:

Seriously, glad you've thought of a solution :thumb:

Back