• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions about Lifelong antibiotics

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
I know there are several RUers who have buns on lifelong antibiotics and that it can be done successfully - but I'm in a quandry over Maddie. She has recurrent jaw abscesses and osteomyellitis. However - she also has horrible skin reactions to the injections.

Her fur falls out in clumps and she is left with very itchy and flakey skin and has in the past, had stasis from all the fur she is grooming off herself. After her last course of injections ( 8 weeks, before the skin thing started ) she was abscess free for 7 months - although for some of that time she wasn't quite right - not ill, but just "off colour".

I'm not sure that keeping her on the abx is the right thing? If there were no side effects - I'd be happy to knowing its the best way to deal with the infection, but thats not the case. At the moment we are injecting anywhere apart from the scruff (ouch) and so far there is no reaction anywhere else.

So...what to do. Continue with the jabs and risk more skin trouble. Or stop the jabs and treat abscesses when (if) they return?? She does cope well with the GAs and ops, so is this every 6 months better than being stabbed every other day? She is currently bouncy and the happiest little bun ever :love:

Have you considered other antibiotics? Zithromax is an oral antibiotic, but still effective against a wide variety of infections. Maybe that might be worth looking into? This is what Badger will be on for the rest of his life.

As for what else is best to do, I think there is an argument for each side to be honest. It sounds like you feel she may be better only being on injectable antibiotics if necessary? If that's the case and you feel that is best for her, and your vet agrees, then go with it.

Another option that is injected less in Convenia, which is every 5-7 days, but, like with the Zithromax, that would be one to discuss with your vet as to what s/he thinks would benefit your bun the most.

What antibiotic is it? I think baytril is the only injectable one known to cause a bad skin reaction, but this can be prevented if you dilute it first.

I have 3 on lifelong penicillin, and none have ever had a skin reaction (neither did any of my bridge buns who were on the same treatment).

She is on Duphapen (think its Depocillin) - shes half bald on her back now :shock:. This happened last time with the injections so I can't see it being for any other reason. Vet seems to think its purely because of the repeated injections at the same site rather than the actual drug?

This is how it starts and the fur gradually just peels away over her back. It is regrowing now though.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=3826555#post3826555

Sky-O - thanks for those other drugs. I will go have a chat with my vet about those and see what they think of trying something different, thanks so much.

Back