• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you find does very mysterious?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Apologies if this sounds really new-age or insane, but I've developed a real "thing" for female animals (especially does) recently. I find with Ralph and Buzz (my boys) I always know what's going on in their head. A nose rub, a cuddle, a flop or a fenugreek crunchie will make them happy and they have very simple needs and I feel devotedly in love with both of them.

But Ruby is a mystery to me and I am fascinated by her. She is the one who will refuse to eat if she doesn't have her freedom, she will only do things on her own terms, she has real wildie tendencies and sharp instincts. She watches and remembers how I open the hutch/run and then tries to imitate it when I go out of sight. She is always wary of me despite me having had her since she was 6/7 weeks old and brought her up in my bedroom.

I can sit for hours and watch her and wonder what she's thinking. I have a sense that I don't "own" her, like I do with the boys, and she "owns" her self. Very self possessed little bunneh.

I get the same with female horses.

Does anybody else feel like this about their does?

Yes I feel the same way. With Mischa especially and Smudge too I can often understand how they are feeling. But Mini and Nutmeg often surprise me.

yup girlie buns are almost a different species!!!:lol:

and they tend to be even more territorial than bucks...even after being spayed!!

bifs got wildie instincts and then sometimes shell shock you by chasing the cats and then getting them to chase her under the bed or in the long grass. then she sneakily doubles back and waits for them to pass by...then pounces on them:shock::lol:
ive not had a male bun do this..only the 3 does ive had over the years!

I've experienced both types of bunnies in both genders to be honest.

My smartest bunnies have been female though. Those who could problem solve, those who picked things up and figured them out quickest, those who learnt by watching.

My girls have also mostly been very much bunnies who just deal with the cards they are dealt and get on with it (like female people? :lol:) and just seem to accept whatever is happening now.

Hmm... I find this completely the other way around. Noisette is very dependant of me and thrives from attention and is happy to get everything from me. I suspect that's because she was hand reared at birth and in the imprinting stage of her life (first few days after birth) she got very accustomed to humans! Oscar on the other hand doesn't like being touched or stroked! I have a massive soft spot for female bunnies and they always draw me more than a male bunny though!

Yes I do. Poppy is far too intelligent for her own good and I can see the thought patterns and cogs whirring around in her brain as she weighs up tasks and ways to manipulate us into getting her own way, this girl bun for sure is far more complex than Nino. Nino whom i'm sure came from the hill in teletubbies where all the bunnies just hop around in their own little world, munching happily, life is not at all complicated for him and he is content whether I meet his needs that day or not. He's a simple soul..... like most men really! :lol:

Poppy is completely different. Any break to her routine or flexibility to timings then there is hell to pay. She is very expressive, manipulative and incredibly intelligent to the point it frustrates her that she can not be understood, but she doesn't give up and finds new ways to communicate if one doesn't have an effect. For example, her favourite trick when she wants to come back in from the garden and go to bed of an evening involves running to the back door, and then running back to sit infront of my OH who's brushing Nino in the garden, looks up at him, stamps her foot, and then runs back to the door, then does the same thing again!
On Wednesday I worked a late shift and wasn't home til 8pm. I'm here most days and at 5pm when they ask to go in the garden i'm here to comply as dutiful owner! :roll: Mr PL was home by 6pm, esp early so he could attend to them, however, Poppy was not impressed by the delay and had peed on the carpet right in front of the sofa, not huge, a precise little protest wee... and not just anywhere... directly in front of where I normally sit! Why do I get the blame! :lol::lol: She has never done this before upstairs, but will do it in her hutch if she is not let out by 7am.... god forbid we have a lie in at the weekend! :roll::lol:

Oh Mischa is my most manipulative bunny. Trust me, he has me round his little paw finger.

Opposite way around for me as far as my girly-buns go~

I know exactly what they want to be happy. They're uncomplicated, predictable and easily pleased. As long as my girl-pair have hay, good food and get to eat grass, they're happy. They don't want or need cuddles or affection from me. The other doe is fine as long as she has her husbun - and gets very grumpy if I butt in and cuddle him. :) But mostly the three of them are food-orientated and not at all complicated. They're like text book bunnies.

My three boys, by comparison, are very individual in all their needs and will go into strops with me that have me puzzling my brains trying desperately to work out what small thing I did wrong... Each of them has their own requirements for the toilet, the way their food is prepared, exactly how they will be handled or where they have to be stroked on their little heads (and how firmly it can be done). They'll all go into black little moods or become distressed if for any reason they feel I've ignored them and seem very sensitive! They're my divas and I heart them. :love:

Blimey, Another anti male post :lol::lol::lol:

*Ducking* Stu

I will be able to join in when we get Wombles Husbun next week

Back