• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H newspaper offer

prettylupin

Wise Old Thumper
I have no idea if this has already been posted on here, but I just got this through the post:
PHoffer-1.jpg

Is it me or is there something wrong here.... this cage is VERY small, too small for a rabbit. Not really helping the 'bunnies cost a lot to look after properly' issue is it. Maybe i've missed something but I didn't realise they stocked cages this size and said they were suitable for rabbits? I thought they were becoming more pro larger hutch as a company. :?

I have just copied this off their website!

[When you buy a pet from us, you can be sure it was bred in comfortable and caring surroundings. We only source pets from suppliers who fulfil the 5 basic freedoms laid down in the Animal Welfare Act 2006, and we regularly inspect our suppliers to make sure they meet our high standards and that they have the right attitude towards animals.]

Don't you just LOVE the hypocrisy of it all! What on earth is the point in making a claim referring to the animal welfare act regarding your breeders if you are then going to encourage your customers to break it! :roll:
I'm off to write a lovely email to customer services (again!) ;)

Oh yeah - that was under the section 'we are a responsible retailer'!! :roll:

I've emailed them about this kind of offer before, and got absolutely no response :roll:

But if lots of people complain it WILL make a difference - so come on everybody!!! :thumb:

I've emailed them about this kind of offer before, and got absolutely no response :roll:

But if lots of people complain it WILL make a difference - so come on everybody!!! :thumb:

Do you have a straightforward email address for customer services? I can't use the online form because I want to attach the image of the offer I have received to demonstrate my point and to cut and paste that section about responsible retailing from their website to support it. I have had very good responses from them in the past so hoping another one will be forthcoming. Overall I do feel they are an awful lot better than most other pet shops out there, and have made some very positive changes, I just wish it wasn't always three steps forward and two steps back again, it is very frustrating.

Same happened recently with Haskin's Garden Centre. After a year of being in contact with HQ and the MD got loads of stuff changed and improved, only to go in the other day to find management had changed and it was all back to square one again......groan! :shock::cry:

Do you have a straightforward email address for customer services? I can't use the online form because I want to attach the image of the offer I have received to demonstrate my point and to cut and paste that section about responsible retailing from their website to support it. I have had very good responses from them in the past so hoping another one will be forthcoming. Overall I do feel they are an awful lot better than most other pet shops out there, and have made some very positive changes, I just wish it wasn't always three steps forward and two steps back again, it is very frustrating.

Same happened recently with Haskin's Garden Centre. After a year of being in contact with HQ and the MD got loads of stuff changed and improved, only to go in the other day to find management had changed and it was all back to square one again......groan! :shock::cry:

Had to use the one on their website, so I'm not sure you can attach images. Might be worth sending a letter through the post in that case.

Other places send an acknowledgement, but I didn't even have that from P@H. Think I will have to try again!

Had to use the one on their website, so I'm not sure you can attach images. Might be worth sending a letter through the post in that case.

Other places send an acknowledgement, but I didn't even have that from P@H. Think I will have to try again!

I would try again. I've had some very indepth responses to various issues I have raised and at times they've even phoned my local store and reported back to me regarding certain things, rabbits in the adoption centre etc.
The key is to point out their positives as well as their shortcomings and just say how disappointed you are, it always seems to work for me. :)
I am actually very disappointed because they are pretty responsible most of the time and this is why it frustrates me more a bit I suppose, rather than a retailer who couldn't care less in the first place.

Yeah it is too small but I must admit I did take advantage of the offer yesterday. I've bought it for bonding two rabbits next week. From what I have read on here rabbits need to be in a small space during bonding to make them interact with each other.

I was dissapointed that staff didn't preach to me about the cage being too small to keep rabbits closed in and they must have access to a run etc though. They didn't bother to find out how I was going to use it. It's a good offer for responsible owners who are using the cage in addition to other space and keep it open permanently (or using it short term for for bonding purposes). It's bad that there is nothing on the advert to say it isn't suitable accomadation to keep a rabbit closed in for people who are less aware of a rabbits needs.

Yeah it is too small but I must admit I did take advantage of the offer yesterday. I've bought it for bonding two rabbits next week. From what I have read on here rabbits need to be in a small space during bonding to make them interact with each other.

I was dissapointed that staff didn't preach to me about the cage being too small to keep rabbits closed in and they must have access to a run etc though. They didn't bother to find out how I was going to use it. It's a good offer for responsible owners who are using the cage in addition to other space and keep it open permanently (or using it short term for for bonding purposes). It's bad that there is nothing on the advert to say it isn't suitable accomadation to keep a rabbit closed in for people who are less aware of a rabbits needs.

On the subject of bonding, the tray might be useful but the top will just get in the way as you will need to be able to get to stop the bunnies if anything kicks off. The tray base with a puppy pen around would be more suitable.

The problem with taking advantage of this kind of offer is that while people are prepared to buy it, they will keep selling it and nothing will change.

Vote with your feet people and boycott retailers that don't try and improve their product lines.

Last edited:
I have just copied this off their website!

[When you buy a pet from us, you can be sure it was bred in comfortable and caring surroundings. We only source pets from suppliers who fulfil the 5 basic freedoms laid down in the Animal Welfare Act 2006, and we regularly inspect our suppliers to make sure they meet our high standards and that they have the right attitude towards animals.]

Don't you just LOVE the hypocrisy of it all! What on earth is the point in making a claim referring to the animal welfare act regarding your breeders if you are then going to encourage your customers to break it! :roll:
I'm off to write a lovely email to customer services (again!) ;)

Oh yeah - that was under the section 'we are a responsible retailer'!! :roll:

I agree, it's hypocrisy.

That offer is remarkably similar to the one for the Easter Bunny offer described in the following thread.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=220405

The end result of the tirade of Easter Bunny complaints was basically:

• An offer of just the rabbit products (with the inclusive rabbit removed).
  • An email from P@H containing numerous platitudes from the P@H Head of Pets plus the usual stuff about "responsible retailer, care for animals, trained staff, etc, etc".

It looks as though the original rabbit-exclusive offer has just been repeated.

Perhaps they think that people have forgotten the Easter Bunnies offer.

If someone has bought one, I wonder if they were given the advice about buying a run? This was included at a discount in the previous offer.

The above thread also contains a direct P@H email address to which emails (with attachments) can be sent.

They have these kinds of offers plastered all over the store, for various hutches for rabbits, guinea pigs and hamsters, from what i saw last time i went into my local p@h. As a responsible owner it could be taken advantage of to get say, a "big" rabbit hutch for guinea pigs, but it seems really irresponsible that they have these lables all over the store, by the hutches, by the animals, grr. :(

On the subject of bonding, the tray might be useful but the top will just get in the way as you will need to be able to get to stop the bunnies if anything kicks off. The tray base with a puppy pen around would be more suitable

I think it depends on the size of the opening in the lid. We used one similar but bigger for bonding the four but ours had an opening that was almost as large as the entire top.

(They were only in it for a few hours before we made it bigger before anyone asks!)

On the subject of bonding, the tray might be useful but the top will just get in the way as you will need to be able to get to stop the bunnies if anything kicks off. The tray base with a puppy pen around would be more suitable.

The problem with taking advantage of this kind of offer is that while people are prepared to buy it, they will keep selling it and nothing will change.

Vote with your feet people and boycott retailers that don't try and improve their product lines.

Here Here

We have just started with rabbits a couple of months ago & bought quite a few things fro P@H, I think from now on we will vote with our feet & shop elsewhere, Hopefully we will find time to wright to P@H to let them know why we wont be shopping with them again, not that it will make any difference.

Also our local P@H seem to have a lot of rabbits the same enclosure with tonnes of woodshavings & pretty much no hay at all.

:( they seem to have loads of offers like this at the minute. To be fair though when I first got Harvey the girl who served me told me the 4ft x 2ft hutch I got would be too small when he got a bit bigger, she never refused to sell me Harvey though.

I think the way they would get around it is they are putting junior rabbit food in as part of the offer :roll:

This! Its so easy for us to pick up a tin of dog food or a cat collar when we need them right now, especially as P@h is next to where we both work - but we are making a massive conscious effort to source everything online. As I always come out :cry: after seeing the animals X

This is terrible.

The best reference I can find to minimal requirements for bunny housing is the RSPCA rabbit care site. Environment is http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rabbits/environment.
I have yet to find a site quoting the 6'x3'x2' size for a hutch. I believe that a run is now compulsory. If anyone can help me there I'd be grateful.

You have my support. I'll e-mail when I've calmed down a bit.

I think that the ultimate responsibility for the welfare of their rabbits eventually comes down to the owner.

In a free market, P@H (and anyone else) can sell what they like (provided it's legal). Customers can chose not to buy it.

Tiny hutches for sale are unacceptable, but they aren't illegal (unfortunately). The owner is responsible for welfare standards for their rabbits.

P@H (and others) have no obligation to only sell hutches that comply with RSPCA/RWA standards.

However, P@H (and others) can reasonably be criticised if:

• The conditions of the animals in their stores and the actions of their staff do not comply in every single respect and detail with the terms and conditions of their pet shop licence.
  • They do not do all the things they claim regarding staff training, knowledge and experience.
  • They provide poor, incorrect or inadequate advice after claiming that they always do so.
They can also be humilliated as a business each time they say one thing but do another or fail to live up to the claims in their brochures, leaflets and literature.

Back