• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Artie is refusing food, update P13 - sore mouth ?and bladder? U/D P21

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
He's been fine all morning and then as I'm just about to leave for work he refused food :(

He doesn't appear in agony though but is tucked away at the back of his pen :cry::cry: I've told him bunnies don't get stasis in June but he says they do, sometimes :cry::cry:

His botty is a bit dirty as well so I don't know if maybe the goosegrass he had yesterday has upset him, though it's more likely a bladder sludge issue.

If you've any vibes to spare we'd be grateful.

I just rang my boss to say I will be very late and she was about as lovely as she possibly could be, she made me want to cry :love: (Vets at 3.40, as there's no point leaving him to see if he picks up, I want him looked after)

Last edited:
next time he will go longer before the next episode xxx

I've just done a check on old threads and it was October last time he was admitted so that's really good, for him. He's had a couple of off times when he's recovered spontaneously and once the vet looked at him and sent him home. He was having episodes on average every 6 weeks or so before his operation.

I'm off out to gather tasty treats for him ...

that really is great :thumb: hes doing so well, i know when it hits again its like the world has ended all over again tho :cry::cry::cry:

good luck at the vets :wave::wave:

Awwww, poor little guy. He's gone for quite a while without any problems, so that's a good thing - hopefully Auntie Frances will sort him out quickly. :love::love::love:

I can't believe what a flap I'm in, you would think I was used to all this by now but I really can't stand knowing he's feeling unwell :cry:

Thanks for the vibes everyone, just going to the vets now.

In my experience it never gets any easier or less worrying when it is your own rabbit. Easy to help others in the same boat, but when it's yours all your knowledge and wisdom goes out the window!:(

Hope Artie feels better soon x

Well Artie was seen by his Auntie Ruth (an excellent bunny vet in her own right). She gave him a thorough examination and when she felt his bladder he weed, which could be a sign that his bladder hurt and was inflammed. She also said his mouth looked sore, which, when I think about it he had been a bit hesitant about eating greens and I put that down to the hot weather, though he ate well after the minute or so hesitation. She said the sore area isn't typical of dental/spur type sores and she wasn't sure if it was enough to stop him eating but seemed possible. She said they had in the past seen rabbits with such as splinters of hay that had gone into the cheek flesh and made it sore, so it could be something like that.

She kept him in because they needed to investigate both things further and to monitor him. If she deemed it necessary his bladder would be x-rayed. If they remain concerned about his mouth he may be having a GA tomorrow so that they can have a proper look at it and possibly to sort whatever it is.

I was told I could ring at 6.30 for update, which I did only to be told by receptionist that the vets didn't leave up dates in the evening... but she would go and have a look at him for me, if I wanted. She then said that his notes said he had been given meds for his stomach/guts and had been syringe fed and to ring after 11 tomorrow (vet said to ring at 10.30), so I'll probably be ringing at 11.

Thanks for the vibes and kind words guys, I forgot my manners last night :oops::oops:

I've not heard from them so hopeful that means he's doing okay. Hopefully he will just need assessing and medication. It's so empty in here without him, I keep looking over to see what he's doing - it's only when they are not there you realise how many times you look at them/check then when they are there. He would normally be snoozing on the corner of his shelf at this time and when I turn to look at him his ears move then he chews air. I need to go to work fairly soon but I know I'll be jumpy and distractable.

I hope Daisy Sunshine and Jester are leaving enough food for the others to get a look in ;)

I hope it's good news when you ring later. :love:

Maybe it was all just an elaborate plan, and Artie had planned an RU meet up with his friends, Daisy and Jester. ;) :lol:

Message from his Aunty Ruth: He has eaten overnight by himself but not as much as she would like so he is also being syringe fed. He is quite bright and active. They are keeping him in to make sure he gets enough to eat and for them to continue syringe feeding and to monitor him.

No mention of investigating the problem so it sounds like conservative management and that they are not too worried. :D

I get my next update at 11.00 am tomorrow.

Back