• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's a cruel world :(

KTJ

Alpha Buck
Where I live, there are sooooo many wild rabbits. My first ever rabbit was a baby wildie that my cat had brought me as a present... she was hand reared, tamed, called Tinkerbell and was the prettiest bun! I think that's why whenever I see dead rabbits on the roads I get upset because I always think of Tinks :(
I was driving today and saw a wild fully grown rabbit on the side of the road... both back legs completely broken, so I stopped, got out and tried to pick up the rabbit and it actually screamed SO loud in fear and tried to run away :cry: I took it to my vets and handed it over, but I just know it will be pts, which I am sure is the right thing for him/her. What upsets me most, is that when I was telling my friends (I was quite upset about it), their reply was "oh well, it's just nature Kate, get over it". The poor thing was riddled with fleas and now I'll have to completely de-flea my car and my clothes, and to be on the safe side, de-flea all my buns too. How is it natural for a wild rabbit to be run down by a man-made car??
I know I can't save every bun, I just sometimes wish I didn't care as much as I do, and I was one of those people who would see an injured animal and ignore it... life would be so much easier!

Ps. There's no real point to this thread, I just know that the people on here can probably sympathise with how I'm feeling, and it's nice to know that, as 99% of the people I know in "real life" do not understand or even try to understand at all.

Awwww no poor little thing and poor you. Must have been horrific hearing it scream :cry: You did the right thing taking him to the vets, he'll be put out of his misery humanely instead of dying in agony.

And I agree, a rabbit getting run down by a car that didnt even stop to deal with it is NOT nature :censored:

Have a sugary cup of tea xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Aww :( (hugs) I've never had to see it happen a wildie, but it breaks my heart to see other wild animals that have been run over by cars. Hope you're ok

Thank you for being so kind and taking bun to the vets for a dignified death instead of dying in agony.

Bless you x x

Poor thing...at least she will pass on humanely.

It not nature definitely not but unfortunately it is just one of them things...life can indeed be so cruel :(. Sometimes it is unavoidable...I have been unfortunate enough to run over 2 rabbits (babies I think) whlst driving to work through country lanes...both of which I could not avoid and couldn't really go back to the scene. :(

Many years ago, not long after I had passed my test I clipped a wildie with my car - it ran out straight underneath me, there was no way I could have avoided it. I stopped immediately and got out and was horrified to see that I hadn't killed it (at least that would have been quick & relatively pain free). I had clearly broken it's back and it was in agony. I was hysterical. I called my mum and she came out and told me to go away and not turn around. I drove off in floods of tears. My mum and I have never spoken about what happened but I know that she put the poor bunny out of it's misery. It was a very hard thing for her to do and it must have been awful for her. She did it though because it was the right and only thing to do. The moment still haunts me and living in a rural area, hitting a wild animal is my worst fear when driving through the lanes.

My heart breaks whenever I see a run over animal, you did such a lovely thing for that poor mite.

I cry if I stand on a snail!:oops:

Awww bless you that must have been very upsetting for you. Every car journey made on country road makes me so nervous and tense, I watch the sides of the road more than the road itself :shock: just looking out for them. I have a hand reared wildie as well, so every bunny I see looks identical to her. I find it hard to understand why there are so many dead animals on our roads, I'm sure not all drivers are to blame as animals just come out from nowhere and I guess sometimes its hard to stop in time, but I do wonder if everyone is so careful :? But its the re running over of dead animals that upsets me the most :cry: My o/h removed two dead cats in one day once from a main road and stopped a whole lane of traffic whilst doing so :) One of them was a right mess I would have hated to have found my cat dead let alone in that state. :cry:

Well done for taking it to the vets you did a lovely thing there :)

Cloughie and Fluffers, I am so sorry about what you went through, I know for some people, like yourselves, you would've really been upset about it and done whatever you thought was best. I realise sometimes it is completely unavoidable, and I would like to think that you know you couldn't have avoided it, but some people (like the MANY cars that passed the injured rabbit today) just don't even care. It makes me hate the world we live in, but then I remember all the people on here that DO care and would go out of their way to help an animal... I just wish everyone was like that!!

Ps. thankyou for all the kind words and support and virtual hugs, I really do appreciate it xxx

Last edited:
Where I live, there are sooooo many wild rabbits. My first ever rabbit was a baby wildie that my cat had brought me as a present... she was hand reared, tamed, called Tinkerbell and was the prettiest bun! I think that's why whenever I see dead rabbits on the roads I get upset because I always think of Tinks :(
I was driving today and saw a wild fully grown rabbit on the side of the road... both back legs completely broken, so I stopped, got out and tried to pick up the rabbit and it actually screamed SO loud in fear and tried to run away :cry: I took it to my vets and handed it over, but I just know it will be pts, which I am sure is the right thing for him/her. What upsets me most, is that when I was telling my friends (I was quite upset about it), their reply was "oh well, it's just nature Kate, get over it". The poor thing was riddled with fleas and now I'll have to completely de-flea my car and my clothes, and to be on the safe side, de-flea all my buns too. How is it natural for a wild rabbit to be run down by a man-made car??
I know I can't save every bun, I just sometimes wish I didn't care as much as I do, and I was one of those people who would see an injured animal and ignore it... life would be so much easier!

Ps. There's no real point to this thread, I just know that the people on here can probably sympathise with how I'm feeling, and it's nice to know that, as 99% of the people I know in "real life" do not understand or even try to understand at all.

Two things of consolation, most animals hit by cars don't suffer it's instant death, also there are reports now that hedgehogs are possibly somehow passing on to the young to steer clear of roads, they are trying to figure out how it's happening but, there seems to be less hedgehog deaths and they are wondering if there is some genetic links, over time all the species will learn I am sure.

Two things of consolation, most animals hit by cars don't suffer it's instant death, also there are reports now that hedgehogs are possibly somehow passing on to the young to steer clear of roads, they are trying to figure out how it's happening but, there seems to be less hedgehog deaths and they are wondering if there is some genetic links, over time all the species will learn I am sure.

Didn't know that, interesting stuff.

Unfortunately cars are still their biggest threat, closely followed by badgers & slug pellets :( The UK hog population continues to decline :(

Yes it is interesting, they are also asking people to avoid feeding by torchlight as another theory is that some may have associated the car lights with food mistaking it for torch light

http://www.thewildlifegarden.co.uk/wildlife_gardening/animals/mammals/hedgehogs.htm

Edited to add could only find this info on the evidence to suggest they are now associating roads with danger

http://findarticles.com/p/news-arti...edgehogs-cross-safe-scot-region/ai_n53826619/

Lets hope bunnies work it out too.

If we see an animal in distress on or at the side of the road we always stop and we have moved dead rabbits many a time from the middle of the road and put them under a hedge. We always carry a pet carrier and a shovel just in case. (the shovel may I say to remove them off the road not to put them out of their misery)

Me and my ex once hit a baby wildie, I mean literally tiny little thing. There was nothing we could do, it just ran straight out in front of us, but I saw it in the rear mirror, on it's back kicking it's little legs in the air, I can still see it like a photograph in my head. We went back to put it out of its misery, thankfully it was dead when we checked. I think the legs kicking was just a reflex and it must have been killed instantly.

We also once found a cat in the road, had obviously only been hit in the last few minutes, but was dead. We stopped to move it, as I couldn't bare the thought of others running over him, and his poor owners finding him like that. I also didn't want them to just find him dead in a hedge, as my mum had that when she was little, and she is still traumatised. So we took the body to the vet, and put posters up round the village.

Didn't know that, interesting stuff.

Unfortunately cars are still their biggest threat, closely followed by badgers & slug pellets :( The UK hog population continues to decline :(

:shock: my dad has a hog and has recently put down slug pellets, he was asking me if it would be ok. The hogs themselves can't get to the pellets, but if a slug eats one and gets out, then the hog eats the slug, would that kill it? My dad has been feeding the hog all winter, he'd be gutted if he killed it :cry:

:shock: my dad has a hog and has recently put down slug pellets, he was asking me if it would be ok. The hogs themselves can't get to the pellets, but if a slug eats one and gets out, then the hog eats the slug, would that kill it? My dad has been feeding the hog all winter, he'd be gutted if he killed it :cry:

Yes I believe it would. :( he should use the beer trap method for slugs.

http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/FAQS/helping_hedgehogs.htm

Last edited:
Back