• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth fixing average cost??

thenamesJT

Mama Doe
Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough price for getting a buns front teeth burred? Also, if anyone has had to get their buns front teeth removed, how much did that cost?

I have enough money to cover the costs but just dont want it to be a shock to be when they say the price!:shock:

Ive got a feeling they'll be removed....they are so squint and shes only 15 weeks! Shes had a diet of unlimited hay, veg & pellets so it isnt caused by her diet.......im starting to stress. :(

All Vets prices vary so I'd ask you Vet for a quote.
As a complete 'guesstimate' I'd say about £100-£150 for a GA, Incisor Extraction and full Dental.

I would think your Rabbit has a congenital malocclusion as she is so young.

And breathe ....
From your other thread it does sound like she needs the work doing so you're doing the right thing for her and she'll be much happier do don't stress too much, you're doing a great job. :)
Unfortunately I don't know how much it is for burring front teeth, mine are all molar dental buns, and from what I've read on here my vets seem to be scarily inexpensive so i wouldn't want to get your hopes up.
When Blakey had her front teeth removed two years ago I think it was about 110 all in, and as I say, she never looked back.
Good luck with the burring or removal, whichever one you go for :thumb:

I only know the cost of molar dentals to which at my vets is £80 but has been as much as £150 at my old vets which is why I moved. How much are your molar dentals Bun-Mum-Tammy just out of interest? There seems to be a huge variation in cost!

:D That doesnt seem so much, my car tyres cost more than that! :lol: (oh dont get me started on my wreck of a car! advice:never buy a Mini 'rip off' Cooper!)
I just cant believe that the woman who had reared Sookie hadnt noticed, I noticed as soon as I got her home. Explains why she was so tiny compared to the rest of her siblings. Im getting the weight on her now, I make sure Rodge doesnt steal her dinner.
Ill be glad to get this over with, I keep dreaming about teeth!:lol:

What would I do without this forum, my stress levels would be sky high!:lol:

I only know the cost of molar dentals to which at my vets is £80 but has been as much as £150 at my old vets which is why I moved. How much are your molar dentals Bun-Mum-Tammy just out of interest? There seems to be a huge variation in cost!

I've just paid £170 for Blackie's molar dental!!!! Mind you, he had to have stasis treatment too, and an overnight in the hospital, which isn't cheap but has round the clock nursing care.

Our last bill for Dee for one out of hours Emergency vet visit, GA, molar spurs removal, full day & overnight stay with fluids (there were complications prior to the op) and all meds came to £170 which I think is very reasonable.

just a bur would be around about 30-40 but full extraction GA would probably be around 90-100 but each vet charges different amounts so i would ask for full estimate at the time

I've just paid £170 for Blackie's molar dental!!!! Mind you, he had to have stasis treatment too, and an overnight in the hospital, which isn't cheap but has round the clock nursing care.

Oh my goodness! That seems like lots although the overnight stays in hospital are always costly. I would fall over if I got a bill like that, especially because Pipkin is in every 8 weeks!

Oops, sorry,.posted and went to work.
:oops:
A conscious dental of molars with an abx injection is 22 pounds at my vet

That is sooo cheap - you are very lucky!! I wouldn't dare give either of mine a conscious dental though, they are both absolutely terrified of the vets

That is sooo cheap - you are very lucky!! I wouldn't dare give either of mine a conscious dental though, they are both absolutely terrified of the vets

It's conscious mostly cos they need it doing every 6 to 8 weeks so I don't want to have to keep having them under GA so often. They have em burred conscious for a few goes and a proper big examination every few months under GA.
I know, really cheap, that's why I was a bit :oops: to post it, but then I do have all four buns done at same time so still adds up a bit. They know and trust the vet so they happy letting them do it conscious, phew :D

It's conscious mostly cos they need it doing every 6 to 8 weeks so I don't want to have to keep having them under GA so often. They have em burred conscious for a few goes and a proper big examination every few months under GA.
I know, really cheap, that's why I was a bit :oops: to post it, but then I do have all four buns done at same time so still adds up a bit. They know and trust the vet so they happy letting them do it conscious, phew :D

Do they have to be sedated at all? I'm terrified of how often Blackie may need doing, and even more terrified that the other 3 may need the same treatment.

Do they have to be sedated at all? I'm terrified of how often Blackie may need doing, and even more terrified that the other 3 may need the same treatment.

It's very rarely that they need to be sedated, they just get burritoed in a towel to keep them still and calmer .... sometimes Blakey needs to be but she is a little madam sometimes but it may be once every 5 or 6 times she goes for it conscious (not including the big examinations where they have a good poke about).
With Blackie did they say it was diet or malaclusion that could be causing his spurs? I think I just drew the unlucky straw with my four needing it so often - and they don't munch hay so I reckon if Blackie does need ongoing burring it won't be anywhere near as often cos he's a hay monster :D

Bailey has her front and back teeth burred, it was £70 last time, £50 for the GA and £20 for the actuall burr and i think she has some pain relief aswell, ive been really lucky though its been about 10 weeks and she hasnt needed them doing again :D x

I have just dug out Pipkins last bill which was £77 broken down into £59 for the dental and £8.90 for a baytril injection and £8.80 for a meloxicam injection.

I think my vet gives these injections as standard (not even sure that the meloxicam is :oops:) -does anyone know if this is normal? I know that for his last 2 dentals there was no damage at all to the inside of the mouth so I did wonder if it was necessary. I am too embarrassed to ask the vet incase she thinks I am a bad owner trying to deprive my buns of treatment :oops: but I really am trying to keep costs down at the moment so thought I would ask while we are on the subject of dentals.

It's very rarely that they need to be sedated, they just get burritoed in a towel to keep them still and calmer .... sometimes Blakey needs to be but she is a little madam sometimes but it may be once every 5 or 6 times she goes for it conscious (not including the big examinations where they have a good poke about).
With Blackie did they say it was diet or malaclusion that could be causing his spurs? I think I just drew the unlucky straw with my four needing it so often - and they don't munch hay so I reckon if Blackie does need ongoing burring it won't be anywhere near as often cos he's a hay monster :D

Blackie does eat his hay well...guess I'll just have to wait and see when it happens again (my vet said the shortest time she'd had between dentals was 4 weeks, the longest time 8 months....)

Back