• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please - cat poo and rabbits!

dawnieb

Warren Scout
As some of you may know, I have 2 rabbits and 2 cats. they all live very happily together but......
the cats poo in a particualr area that the rabbits like to eat the grass from. I am worried that this isn't safe etc. We only have a yard with some grassy areas and the cats have a litter tray but seem to prefer the grassy areas that the rabbits like to eat! :roll:

I have tried citrolnella oil and other things similiar but to no effect. I don't want to use any of these sprays you see about because I don't want the rabbits to be warned off. Does anyone have any ideas? How do you deal with the situation?

Any advice gratefully recieved!

Can you put a cat litter tray for the cats where they like to go? In my experience cats prefer sandy soil to grass if given the option cos then they can go through their little digging a hole and covering it up routine! :roll::lol: If you can get your cats to use a litter tray or a tray of soil in that spot your buns will be better off really.
Cats can pass some nasty infections through their faeces and urine, especially as they are meat eaters. Things like toxoplasmosis, e.coli, worms/internal parasites and coccidiosis etc.

I think the biggest problem is that the soil underneath the grass (which is patchy from nibbling) is very soft so good for digging and covering. I am going to try one of those covered litter trays next to the area they go in most and see what whether they start going in there. :roll::?

poor bunsters, I have been keeping them off the grass cos of their naughty cat sisters and I feel sorry for them! :(

I think the biggest problem is that the soil underneath the grass (which is patchy from nibbling) is very soft so good for digging and covering. I am going to try one of those covered litter trays next to the area they go in most and see what whether they start going in there. :roll::?

poor bunsters, I have been keeping them off the grass cos of their naughty cat sisters and I feel sorry for them! :(

If the cats like soil then try a big flat tray (like a seed tray of some sort that is shallow) that you can fill with the same soft earth. Our cats always used to love my dad's freshly dug and raked veg beds! :lol:

Good idea, I'll try that.

Yes, we have veg beds too but they are covered over with wire so thats a bun and cat free zone!

Back