• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter trays - what do you use?

pigsforlife

Mama Doe
What do people use for their litter trays? Links/Pictures would be great.

I have a small one at the moment which is fine for Charlee but won't work for 2. Preferably I would like one that is a) big enough for 2 buns to sit in it comfortably and b) with higher sides.

The higher sides are because Charlee was backing her self up and accidently shooting over the side :roll: . This problem is now not an issue (she worked out how to keep it in the litter tray!!) but I am not sure if new bun will have the same issue - so I figure the higher sides won't hurt. Saying that, the sides can't be too tall cause they are smallish buns (nethie and dwarf lop).

I am all into money saving at the moment, so trying to stay away from petstores because I figured I could get something cheaper elsewhere that although not marketed for rabbits, still does the same job. So any ideas?

I use the bottoms of old hamster trays. I line it with newpapers and top it with hay. I tried all sorts of other things but its the only way he'll use them.

I have a corner one from the pet shop, which has a "splash back" at the back :roll:

He backs into it and sits with his bum in it, kinda lookin around all like *doo dee doo dee doo* and then turns round to inspect what he's done :lol:

We're always like "Oh, Keiths on the loo!"

It's in his cage tho, but he doesn't get shut in there (except for ten mins when im hoovering cos it's a really powerful hoover and he tries to sniff where it sucks :shock:eek:r if he wont give the gerbils a moments peace he gets time out) but it's his "safe place" where he has food, water, bed, toys and toilet. He's never been taken out of the cage, only ever hopped out when he wanted to, so it's his safe place.

The benefit of that, litter tray wise, is if he misses it still stays in the cage!

I use to buy the largest cat litter trays for my lot, but when I needed a new one I thought I'd try the underbed storage boxes and wow, best thing ever!

I bought the red ones, slightly cheaper and seem more hardy than the clear/purple ones. They're a dream to clean as the dirty megazorb slides off, and after 2 weeks use they are still like new! Even the nethies manage to hop in ok

These are mine

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Plastic-Storage-/Wham-Underbed-Storage-Box-with-Lid-RedGreen-32ltr/invt/0285618?htxt=PsAGyAqy%2FDSGVBgOHPBfATKVETOKIWHcwqoICuDrG%2FxTcDPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCB%0AtDs76aYYKg%3D%3D

I've also bought them half size hanging baskets which I've cable tied on to the crate, it keeps it clean and the buns have do work a little bit to get it, for my older guy it's much lower but still works fine :D

I use to buy the largest cat litter trays for my lot, but when I needed a new one I thought I'd try the underbed storage boxes and wow, best thing ever!

I bought the red ones, slightly cheaper and seem more hardy than the clear/purple ones. They're a dream to clean as the dirty megazorb slides off, and after 2 weeks use they are still like new! Even the nethies manage to hop in ok

These are mine

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Plastic-Storage-/Wham-Underbed-Storage-Box-with-Lid-RedGreen-32ltr/invt/0285618?htxt=PsAGyAqy%2FDSGVBgOHPBfATKVETOKIWHcwqoICuDrG%2FxTcDPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCB%0AtDs76aYYKg%3D%3D

I've also bought them half size hanging baskets which I've cable tied on to the crate, it keeps it clean and the buns have do work a little bit to get it, for my older guy it's much lower but still works fine :D

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but I can't quite picture this .... what do you use the hanging baskets for??

I think many people use a wall mounted/ half size hanging baskets as hay racks as they are nice and big :)

I have got a corner litter tray for my 2 but currently using just a cat litter tray with a cover on top :)

DSC04360.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't think of using underbed storage boxes for litter trays! Thinking about it, The Reject Shop (variety discount store) has a wide range of similar storage boxes and they would probably be cheaper and bigger, with higher sides than what I could get from the petstore! Brilliant!

I think many people use a wall mounted/ half size hanging baskets as hay racks as they are nice and big :)

I have got a corner litter tray for my 2 but currently using just a cat litter tray with a cover on top :)

DSC04360.jpg

Ahhhh riiiight, as a hay rack! Thaaaaanks x

PS/ Your bunsters are gorgeous!!

A large washing up bowl is the cheapest option

I love the large corner litter trays..have a pic of a ferret on them and in most pet shops but pricey at about £8.99.......don't take up so much cage space but large enough for the big bunnies to sit in and the high back prevents over-the-side squirting!:lol:

I have four of these...

_IGP7836-vi.jpg

Three slightly bigger ones which now have to go at the end of my wardrobes as Nutmeg has decided it is a good loo space. :roll:

And two old pink ones, very similar to the top one but longer, which I will use in this room (study) once they are allowed in here during the day.

Last edited:
ive got various small and large corner ones a cat litter tray, and for when frosty was ill i bought a potting tray from the garden centre as its huge has a low front and high back perfect for buns who are old or with leg probs

I have an underbed storage box too. I line it with newspaper and top it with lots and lots of hay :D

Back