• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giving Sub Cut fluids is such a trauma

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Not for them, for me.

I've done it a few times now, and have not caused a problem so far, touch wood (infact, it makes them feel far better), but I just panic after. I panic that I've gone in too deep, or into the lung cavity wall (or whatever it was the vet said), or just done it wrong in some other way.

It just panics the **** out of me. Makes me cry when I've finished it.

Am I the only one who panics at stuff like this? Especially when still new to doing it?

Last edited:
Sub-cut is easy...you can't go wrong so don't worry! :D

Just tent the skin and insert the needle from whichever end you prefer (I always go in from the tail end towards the head). Squeeze the plunger and you should see the skin start to lift as the fluid goes in.

The beauty of hartmanns is that unlike proper meds, it doesn't matter if you go wrong and the fluid squirts back out because it's non-toxic.

Aww :( I'm not very brave at stuff like that, I would always be worried I'd done it wrong too x

Me too. I hated syringing food into my poorly chin' because I was always worried I would do something horribly wrong - which is possible....... I always ended up in tears. :(

So I think you're doing well!!

I know how to do it. Its just something new and I'm still learning. I'm not panicking as I do it, I panic after, and not because I've seen or done anything untoward, just because my mind creates stupid situations. Maybe when I have done it more I'll feel more comfortable with it, but right now it causes high anxiety.

I had to give Mr Bingley his injection by myself today coz Lee slept in and had to rush off .... I sat singing to him on my lap for at least half an hour before doing it .... not for his calmness, was for my own :oops: :lol:
I had Lee on loud speaker on the phone whilst I was doing it and I was so giddy with relief when I'd done it :shock: my hands were shaking with adrenalin after.
Try singing - it helped :lol:

I had to give Mr Bingley his injection by myself today coz Lee slept in and had to rush off .... I sat singing to him on my lap for at least half an hour before doing it .... not for his calmness, was for my own :oops: :lol:
I had Lee on loud speaker on the phone whilst I was doing it and I was so giddy with relief when I'd done it :shock: my hands were shaking with adrenalin after.
Try singing - it helped :lol:

Aw, that's so cute.

The singing made me laugh. Not sure that would help me, and it also might kill the neighbhours and Rosie might try and hide her ears under her paws :lol:

Glad it helped you though.

I know how to do it. Its just something new and I'm still learning. I'm not panicking as I do it, I panic after, and not because I've seen or done anything untoward, just because my mind creates stupid situations. Maybe when I have done it more I'll feel more comfortable with it, but right now it causes high anxiety.

If there is a bump under skin where the fluid has gone in, then you've done it right and there's no need to worry.

If there is a bump under skin where the fluid has gone in, then you've done it right and there's no need to worry.

Yeh. My brother calls it her 'blub blub' after seeing a bun on another forum with a massive amount under her skin. Its always noticeable when I do it (although when my vet did it he spread it up and down her spine more than I do so there was no lump).

Rationally I know this. Irrationally, unfortunately, all rational thought goes out the window.

Aw, that's so cute.

The singing made me laugh. Not sure that would help me, and it also might kill the neighbhours and Rosie might try and hide her ears under her paws :lol:

Glad it helped you though.

I don't think Bingley ws that impressed with my singing either :oops: :lol:

hats off to you being able to do it! esme looked like a little hunchback after one of her injections of fluids:love:

Back