• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ongoing debate about Rosie. No more debate. She's gone.

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I think we may be coming to the end of Rosie's battle. For those that don't know about Rosie she has spinal damage, a calcified kidney and now head tilt (although this is much improved). It seems to be her kidney issues giving her gip at the moment. Her creatinine levels were nearly double what the high range should be.

She perks up after sub Q fluids, and they carry her for a day or two and then she plummets down again. I have asked the maximum I can give those and the vet said twice a week, and that leaves a few days each week when she feels rubbish.

She's lost a lot of weight and only wants to eat grass although will now eat some pellets and basil and even hay (which is a HUGE improvement over last week- but she was really struggling with her tilt then). She's also on a lot of pain relief.

I'm really wondering just how much more she can and should take.

Tough decisions.

Last edited:
Poor Rosie, bless her sounds liek she has a lot to contend with. But also that you are doing everything possible to make her comfortable.

Only you know how much more she can take. Every bunny is an individual, there are no hard and fast rules.

Thinking of you xx

Aw, that's sad. It's heartbreaking to have to make that kind of decision :(

Sending vibes for Rosie to remain comfortable xxx

Thanks guys. She's missing her sparkle, and I just don't want her to suffer.

I expect to bring her home from the vets tonight, but I have no idea for how long.

Poor Rosie, have never had to make the decision before but everyone says you will know when the time has come. Sending loads of vibes that she can be happy and pain free for however long she has left xxx

so sorry to hear this - is her other kidney damaged too?

Strangely enough Damson only wanted grass when his kidneys were a problem.

We were giving fluids a couple of times a week too and like you found it really helped.

After the bad kidney came out he was so much better - but that did rely on his other kidney functioning.

I don't have anything useful to say I'm afraid but didn't want to "read and run". You gave me such good advice when I was losing Sorrel that I'm sure you will be able to make the right decision for Rosie. I hope that you two can enjoy the time you have left together no matter how long or short it is.

Thanks everyone.

We are now back.

Our vet agreed that now her head is masses better, it is her kidneys giving her gip. She has lost a lot of weight (which I knew). She has gone from 1.9 to 1.75, so she is pretty lean now.

He was very impressed with how much better her head is and the fact her nystagmus has now gone. He said it doesn't matter how much pain medication she has (obviously within the allowed dose because its now too late to worry about Metacam and her kidneys).

Thankfully he also said that because the time is close, I can do sub Q fluids more regularly, which is great. He feels it may be within the week, so we are back, once more, to day by day.

Right now she is back outside in the garden, enjoying the sun with Badger.

I'm so sorry :(
It's obviously been a heartbreaking decision for you but it's the right one for Rosie if you feel her quality of life will be compromised by her on going problems.
I'm so glad to hear she enjoyed the garden in the sun and you can have that memory in your heart when you let her go.
Vibes for a peaceful passing, sleep tight little Rosie
Tammy x

It is such a difficult & unselfish decision to take.
She had a wonderful life with Badger & you, & a dignified ending when her time had come.
Be pain free & at peace Rosie.

Sorry to not have seen this thread til now :cry:

I think you made the right decision for Rosie, a very selfless act of love on your part

Be at peace now Rosie xx

Back