• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training

xsmegalx

New Kit
hi
i got twno new bunnies a few days ago now, whats the best way to start litter training them as they do come in house quite a bit and they are bith like pooping machines!!
i dont kno eally where to start???
jess

I've got two words good + luck :lol: Mine have never quite got the hang of it, although i am going to make a concerted effort again next week once i've got some trays. Seriously though, they do like to much hay while they're on the loo, so get a nice big tray(s) - i was recommended the underbed storage boxes, i saw some on tescos website yesterday - and make sure there is some hay in it or in a rack right next to it. Also, as far as weewees are concerned they tend to go in corners and in the same places so if you see them favouring a particular spot then pop a tray there. It is also much easier after neutering/spaying as there's less territory marking pooping.

My two are good at weeing in their litter trays but do still tend to do the odd few poops whenever/wherever.

With the peeing tho, once one of them went on the floor, I soaked some hay in it and popped it in the litter tray ... they seemed to get a grip pretty quickly that that's where they go pee.

Rascal does have a tendency to back right up in his litter tray tho and end up peeing over the edge! lol

I've got cat litter trays (filled with megazorb and some hay) at the mo but am going to try the underbed storage boxes that PaulineJoe mentions....hopefully it will keep everything contained!

After neutering its meant to be much easier!

I have found litter training to be a massive doddle actually, all of mine came to me non litter trained (3 as adults) too.

I would just scoop up all their poos and all the dirty bedding, shove it in their litter tray... when I found them ready to do a poo, I would pick them up and place them in their litter trays too. Also, I would clean up any wee with vinegar as its safe for pets and also removes the smell of the urine which deters them from doing it again. Obviously this won't work the first time you do it, but you have to persist in it. It may take a while, some buns take to it more than others but the key is to be persistent :D :wave:

Back