• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sheds in hot weather

Becca24

Mama Doe
It will only be a matter of a week or two and Pip will be moving into the shed, (hopefully)! I have just been in there to grab a few things and OMG its boiling in there, really stuffy! :shock: So I now need to think how I can prevent the shed getting this hot when the weather is like this.

At the moment we are planing on putting an inner door which is a frame and mesh so the wooden outer door can stay open but nothing can get in or out!

Will leaving the wooden outer door be enough to prevent the shed getting so stuffy or do I need to think of somthing else too? Please help me with some ideas! :?

My shed has a leanto greenhouse attached as well (this came with the house) There is a door either side so front and back. We leave both doors open (mesh on greenhouse door and stable door on front of shed) and there's a through draft which is very effective. Could you put a window/flap/hatch in the back for a through draught??

My shed gets baking when the sun comes out but opening the door sorts it within seconds :) I should think the mesh door will work well.

My shed has a leanto greenhouse attached as well (this came with the house) There is a door either side so front and back. We leave both doors open (mesh on greenhouse door and stable door on front of shed) and there's a through draft which is very effective. Could you put a window/flap/hatch in the back for a through draught??

The shed is in front of a brick wall and next to a fence and on the other side is my house. My husband had it made to fit in that space. So cant do anything with the back.

It has a window next to the door but at the moment it has plastic in, I have been more concerned about winter I kind of forgot about keeping cool too! :shock:

My shed gets baking when the sun comes out but opening the door sorts it within seconds :) I should think the mesh door will work well.

I hope so, I have left the door open so will go back soon and see what it feels like. I did paint all the walls white in a hope to reflect some of the heat.

The other thing I thought was keeping a fan in there, but not sure if this was a good idea as the electric would need to be on for a long periods and even if it was wall mounted or on a shelf I would still worry about the safety side of it!

I have a mesh door and it works well for letting air in. I have had to cover the window with a sheet in the day to stop the greenhouse effect though

I've seen some people cut holes in their shed and cover them with mesh to allow some airflow, and for some bunnies, a viewpoint out.

I think someone suggested a wet, white sheet covering the shed helps.

Good luck!

He'll have permanent run access too, which is also important, so he will always have a choice to be out of the shed.

I was thinking of getting some holes drilled in the plastic window and then making like an outside type curtain in a blackout material to cover the window in the sun was bearing in the window, not sure if that would help much though!

Yeah he will always have access to his run but would like to the shed to be comfortable in all weathers!

I am interested in this too. I measured the temperature in mine earlier (just out of interest - I haven't got any animals in there). It was 33 degrees with the window open.

We bought a cheap roller black out blind for our old shed for the windows on hot summer day's and made a mesh door so we could let some air in. :)

We bought a cheap roller black out blind for our old shed for the windows on hot summer day's and made a mesh door so we could let some air in. :)

I found a black-out blind made a huge difference in the hot weather when I had to have my rats temporarily in a shed set-up. :)

My sheds have mesh doors, but I also have opening windows that are meshed on the outside, and the buns have shelves undernearth the windows so they can sit in the breeze.

Does painting the shed a pale colour help?

Also could you put one of those siver car window screen things over the window?

It's good in really hot weather if you can get a through air.

If a run is permenantly attached as least they have the option of being in that..

Hannah

I have two wendy houses and dont seem to have a trouble with them getting too hot. I put mesh instead of the plastic windows and they are on the patio out of direct sunlight during the main part of the day and they seem to be ok.

I also have my buns in the shed, and it has been really warm in there this last week or so. Luckily, they have a cat flap which I have been propping open to ventilate the shed. They can go through the cat flap and sit in their run if they shed gets too warm for them.

Back