• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eye removal - Who has.......

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
.... the bunny with both her eyes removed? I know there is a bunny and I think she belongs to a rescue :?

I am really concerned about Frank as his remaining eye is starting to bulge :(:(

Before he goes for a check up ( he is fine in himself) I wanted to get some info about successful double eye removal just incase.

I know it doesn;t sound nice to have both eyes removed, but surely its no different to a bunny being completely blind and still having eyes :?

You would never know that he hadn't got eyes as he gets around just fine. Our measure of his pleasure is that he can always be found charging around with his missus when I go up the garden with his pellets, or when he is lying full flop dreaming.

When he first came home, he did the biggest flops ever, which he hadn't done for ages as he had so clearly been in pain with the eye pressure increasing. He obviously had immediate relief when it was gone.

He ate again straight away and appeared to be so much happier.

I used to wonder about him getting around and tried to keep everything the same but these days I don't as he just hops around the outside of his wendy house and run to find his way about, or sticks he head on his wifes and she leads him. He does hoever run like crazy too when hes in the run and wants to come in. Not bad for an old bunny of about 8.

Ooh thanks Helen/Jane, I thought it was someone up North :oops:

Thank you Helen, that sounds very positive :)

I have made an appointment for Frank but its not until next Thursday as I want to see a specific vet. He is happy in himself and enjoying sun bathing so it shouldn;t be a problem waiting.

Frank is also 8 years but lives alone, he doesn't like other bunnies :(

Just taken this photo of them just now.................

June232010007.jpg

I don't think Barney would actually mind too much if there wasn't another rabbit around as his live evolves around sleeping and eating - Summer is often out in the run on her own relaxing so I'm not sure if Frank would mind too much with no eyes at all. We really had no choice as we could see that the risk to reward was positive for the op.

I think that the pain relief would be a very positive thing, and who knows he may like other bunnies a bit better when he's got no sight.

I have just bonded an unsighted rabbit to one of my rescues. She was a timid little lionhead who had lost her sister. She boxed etc but given a bit of time with the bonding she accepted a new husbun Bruin and they have gone home happy. She, however hadn't had a total removal just severe cataracts.

I will be thinking of Frank next Thursday and sending him loads of vibes.

Please keep us informed of his prognosis. Frank is one of my favourites:love: (just in case you didn't realise :lol:)

Oh poor Frank :( Do you think it's an abscess? I think that having no eyes is like you say the same as being totally blind, it's obviously not very nice but buns do seem so adaptable and rely so much on their other senses as well that i'm sure he's be ok. Everything crossed though that he keeps his eye x

Thank you :)

Frank is just happy to eat and sleep, he doesn't move around much at all, so will be fine.

I don't know whats causing the eye to bulge. His last eye was removed, we think, due to an abscess on the outside of his eye after a fox attack. However he did have terrible trouble with infection afterwards so it may have tracked to the other eye, I really don't know :?

Thank you :)

His last eye was removed, we think, due to an abscess on the outside of his eye after a fox attack. However he did have terrible trouble with infection afterwards so it may have tracked to the other eye, I really don't know :?

Yes Joe's bulged when he got his abscess but luckily as he was already in the animal hospital when that happened, they started treatment straight away with baytril and also big doses of depocillin, every other day to start with tapering down to weekly, then fortnightly and luckily that cured him. He was also on fucithelmic ointment for his eye to help him blink Is there maybe another vet you could see in the interim who may be able to get him started on some antibiotics while you wait for the one you want to see?

Get well soon Frank x

Back