• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pip acting strange - Worried she is pregnant!

Livi

Alpha Buck
Pip seems to be growing at a fast rate, eating lots, getting more agitated when being picked up(moved hutch to run etc) & totally shredding/making a huge mess of her cage!

I am now concerned these may be pointers that she is pregnant…

When I got her there were 2 rabbit enclosures at P@H. One had a red house in and the other a blue.

When I first asked about Pip – they told me she was probably male as generally they put the blue house in the pen with the males. Of course when I enquired further about Pip & they picked her up I found she was in fact female.

Now this recent behaviour has got me wondering – was she in fact in the males pen & is she now pregnant? She has her vet check up tomorrow so I will probably know once she has been for that.

I am probably just being silly & worrying about nothing – well I hope I am….

What does everyone think? x

Hmm.. I have seen male hamsters in with the females in P@h so it isn't out of the realms of possibility :( but they are normally good with the rabbits. I think it is unlikely to get pregnant that young but it's definitely possible. But I don't really think the things you describe mean she is pregnant, maybe just hormonal?

Thank you both. Only had her since last Saturday – so not too long….probably just her hormones & me getting worried over nothing,lol

I would be surprised if she was pregnant at her age tbh. I used to have 2 bunnies who was very destructful, shredded everything, ate everything including their hutch :roll:. It may be somthing that she enjoys doing!

As for not liking being handled, my Pip is exactly the same and unfortunately so are most bunnies its just the way they are! :(

Thank you all again, my mind is now at rest! I was probably being over concerned…

She only started the shredding when I put the new carefresh bedding down, mid last week….This morning I put her back onto sawdust (for now – I know its not great for rabbits as can be dusty) so I will see how she is when I get in.

The thing is, she used to be fine with being handled but has only become more difficult in the last 2 days or so…Maybe its just hormones/ or she has fully settled in now & so is becoming a bit of a pickle & not so reserved!

Back