• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have a bunny with no back leg movements?

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
Does anyone have a bun with no real use of their back legs and that barely gets around? Just sort of wobbles and drags themselves a bit?

Do you think that a bunny like this has a good quality of life?

I am just thinking about what to do with Maddie, I really am torn. She was quite happy sitting in the lounge with me last night on the rug and just wobbled around a bit, she ate everything i gave her as well she just can't really move and i have a feeling i am not going to get much more from her this time, so is it fair to keep her like this?
She normally lives outside in a shed, i have had to put her in a small indoor cage inside the shed so her partner can still see her as he is far too boistrous, if she stays like this i don't think i can put them back together :?

I am so sorry Maddie is so poorly, it must be very distressing for you :( :( :(

I have a copy of the book 'When your rabbit needs special care'. There is a section in it on coping with and caring for a disabled rabbit. There a couple of stories of bunnies who have lived with back leg paralysis.

Whether there is quality of life, whether this is right for you and Maddie I would not want to hazard an opinion. The anguish involved in making such a decision must be awful.

Would you like me to photocopy the pages and send them to you?

Loads of hugs,
Vanessa

I have a bunny ava who has one leg that is deformed and struggles with it, just drags it around. She does have use of the other 3 though. It is her back leg. She seems to be happy in her trio and enjoys being out on the grass, scurrying through the rabbit tunnels i've put down.

She doesnt' move quickly, but i definately wouldn't put her down. I'm not sure how it would be if she had no total use of all her back end at all. I think for bunnies the social aspect makes things worth it.

I worried about ava when i tried to bond her as a 5 group, but as her orginal trio she is fine and i can sleep at night. Space wise, i make sure everything is okay for her, no ramps etc- i think bunnys look out for each other when they are poorly like that.

Sometimes it looks abit unfair when she is getting dominated by athena. They don't hurt her though. She just knows she is the one at the bottom of the hierachy. She seems to be happy there.

I have bunnys with all there limbs in tact that are causing me more worrys than ava. I worry when a bunny needs it's teeth doing every month or has persistant eye problems, that it's not a good quality of life, but i think as long as you care for them and give them your best they shouldn't require putting to sleep.

I think it's just a case of letting her be. Some animals or even people in life get the short end of the stick, but i think every day is a gift and getting to snuggle up to you or see her friend through the bars is probably enough for her.

It is entirely down to you. Vibes for bunny xx

Maybe get a new bunny friend for your other bunny and setup a new run for Maddie on her own. Sorry i'm not sure what else to suggest *hugs* xx

You know your rabbit the best so really look at her and see if she's happy. Would she be happy if she lived inside? Could you re bond her partner? Think about all the options but remember you know her and you love her so whatever decision you make will be the right one. You'll know when it's time and so will she. Sending lots of vibes.

You know your rabbit the best so really look at her and see if she's happy. Would she be happy if she lived inside? Could you re bond her partner? Think about all the options but remember you know her and you love her so whatever decision you make will be the right one. You'll know when it's time and so will she. Sending lots of vibes.

Unfortunately Katie is letting Maddie go to the bridge this evening :cry::cry:

wheels

We did try making a wheeled contraption for Marble when she had the same problem, but she didn't really take to it. The difference, probably, was that she had womb cancer, and the operation to remove it was very extensive, but it had spread just too much, and she was really too ill to progress, so in the end she was pts. But only you can know what is right for Maddie. Many vibes.

Back