• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with baytril - i cant get it down her

Hiya Dolly was given a weeks course of Baytril on monday. She is supposed to take 0.2 ccs twice a day. Every time i try to give her it, she gets really distressed to the point where she doesnt even want to come out of her cage.

At the moment the routine is:

Bring Dolly in for medicine, first give her the baytril, then give her a treat to munch on while i bathe the lesions in salt water solution

Then ill put her back and give them all their pellets. I hoped that by centering it around breakfast time and food, she wouldnt get so distressed. Last night, she ended up with the antibiotics on her head rather than in her mouth! Its making her really nervous.

Any suggestions? I almost cried last night :(

It's awful when they struggle so much isn't it? Bingley was exactly the same.
Some excellent suggestions I got from RUers include
* try disguising the baytril in a treat such as mashed banana, rolled in a basil leaf, on a piece of brown bread or try mixing it with vimto or pineapple juice in the syringe so it doesn't taste as nasty (it is horrid stuff - got it in my own mouth with Bingley's struggles :roll: )
* try wrapping her firmly in a towel, with just her nose and mouth showing, eyes covered, to minimize the stress

Bingley didn't take to any of these unfortunately so it was a case of me following him round putting it on his front paws and making sure he licked it off :roll::lol: ..... took forever!

I'm sure loads of others will have brilliant other tips too so hopefully you'll find something much less stressful for you and your bun:)

Yeah baytril is really bitter so it's no wonder that they struggle. Mixing it with something sweet like a little ribena or fruit juice can help, I used to painstakingly put a tiny drip on each pellet and hand feed them, or drip it onto a small slice of apple or banana until it had soaked in and then feed that. It's not one of the easiest medicines to give, sadly.

As an aside, how big is Dolly? 0.2cc (is that the same as 0.2ml?) doesn't sound a lot, even for a very small bunny - and I thought it was usual practice now to give a larger dose once a day rather than splitting the dose, as baytril works best on peak concentration not on low-level concentration throughout the day. It might be worth asking your vet if you can do it once a day so that you at least only have the trauma of doing it once!

Hope your little one gets better soon xx

Baytrils a nightmare, joejoe was on it for weeks but i'm sure more of it went up the walls and on me than down his throat :| i used to draw it up in the syringe then draw up a bit of apple&blackcurrant squash, then get a huge bath towel and wrap him up in it, then straddle him one leg either side (so trust me with my thighs he couldn't move :lol::oops::lol:) put my left arm round his body with my hand under his chin and then squirted it in the right hand side of his mouth. This probably got about .000001mls in, the rest was via the bun-mum-tammy method of squirting on his paws and waiting for him to lick it off.

Amybunny - Ooooh I LOVE those biscuits myself so what a good excuse to have some in stock "for the rabbits" :D

As an aside, how big is Dolly? 0.2cc (is that the same as 0.2ml?) doesn't sound a lot, even for a very small bunny - and I thought it was usual practice now to give a larger dose once a day rather than splitting the dose, as baytril works best on peak concentration not on low-level concentration throughout the day.

Dolly is supposed to be a nethie, but i think shes a x. She weighs just over 2lbs, she is a small rabbit but even i thought 0.2ccs isnt a lot and ive never had to give a bun meds before. Im not sure what ccs are or how much they are compared to ml, i just know thats the measurement on my syringe. I might give my vet a quick ring, the more i read on here, the less faith i have in my vet.

The baytril is to treat the lesions of what looks like dead/infected skin after a reaction to the VHD vaccine. My vet said hed never seen a reaction to VHD!!!!! :shock:

...ive just been on google and ccs are the same as mls :roll: why do they have to change everything?! whats wrong with all the old fashioned measurements!? :lol:

Last edited:
Baytrils a nightmare, joejoe was on it for weeks but i'm sure more of it went up the walls and on me than down his throat :| i used to draw it up in the syringe then draw up a bit of apple&blackcurrant squash, then get a huge bath towel and wrap him up in it, then straddle him one leg either side (so trust me with my thighs he couldn't move :lol::oops::lol:) put my left arm round his body with my hand under his chin and then squirted it in the right hand side of his mouth. This probably got about .000001mls in, the rest was via the bun-mum-tammy method of squirting on his paws and waiting for him to lick it off.

Amybunny - Ooooh I LOVE those biscuits myself so what a good excuse to have some in stock "for the rabbits" :D

Sounds like a plan to me, a few people have suggested the fruit juice trick. Do i dilute the squash a little first?

Dolly is a very small bunny, too small to straddle anyway, i tried with my elbows but she always manages to wriggle out of everything :roll: i really think id squash her if i straddled her! :lol:

Squdging it between 2 thin slices of banana is the only way I can get meds into my Mimi, it really disguises the taste so she thinks shes getting a treat :wave:

I know how auwful it is when they fight so hard, try wrapping her up firmly and covering her eyes. In the end I asked my vet if i could inject my Mimi with her abx, so thats an option if nothing else works.

Hope you have some success.

i have no advice i'm afraid other than whats already been said (i've been on here begging for bayrtril help too in the past!), i just wanted to wish you luck and hope for a speedy recovery for bun.

i have no advice i'm afraid other than whats already been said (i've been on here begging for bayrtril help too in the past!), i just wanted to wish you luck and hope for a speedy recovery for bun.

Thanks poppymoon :)

Its the baytril thats making her miserable...she doesnt love me anymore! :( :lol:

I ended up barracading the keith aagainst the sofa with cushions :lol: I'd always give him a treat afterwards, he#d run off, stamp his foot, remember his treat, come back and get it it, and then run off again.
On one occassion he scratched my hand as I held out the treat to let me know that even though he was getting a treat now it was NOT forgotten :roll:

I have given Baytril daily now for the past 6 months (4mls, so quite a lot!)

easiest and simplest thing to do is get a towel and put them in a 'burrito' like you would when you make a tortilla wrap :p get them calm and then pop the syringe in their mouth. I have tried the disguising method, but I found her to be too clever and she wouldn't eat it :roll:

I have given Baytril daily now for the past 6 months (4mls, so quite a lot!)

easiest and simplest thing to do is get a towel and put them in a 'burrito' like you would when you make a tortilla wrap :p get them calm and then pop the syringe in their mouth. I have tried the disguising method, but I found her to be too clever and she wouldn't eat it :roll:

I think im going to try the apple sauce method first, if this doesnt work im going to get the towel out!

Back