• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Info needed on Adoption Centre Design

KB

Mama Doe
Hi all
As some of you may remember I am currently lobbying my local SPCA to not include cages as accommodation for buns when they rebuild their Rabbit Adoption area.
I was recently reading a back issue of Rabbiting On & discovered a very helpful article titled 'Rabbit Rescue - a decade of change'. (Summer 2006)
This article had some pictures from the RSPCA West Hatch & mentioned other examples of enclosure type housing for buns awaiting adoption.
I have already had some great examples of adoption centres sent to me through RU contacts but could do with a few more.
So are there any staff or volunteers from RSPCA West Hatch or the Mayhew on RU? I'm aware that the Mayhew is operating at a reduced capacity due to rebuilding of their Rabbit area but still really keen to hear from someone associated with them.
Thanks in anticipation. :)

My local RSPCA has a system of runs which can be viewed by anyone. The runs contain toys and a good ramp leading to the internal cage that is within the rabbit building.

As many of the rabbits here need a lot of TLC and care the cages are designed to give visibility to the staff caring for the buns but unless someone is clearly in the process of adopting a bun this area is not open to the public.

Some of the little buns I saw had clearly had a rough time and if I was caring for them I know I would prefer to be able to clearly see them rather than keep opening and shutting doors on them.

All the rabbit cages were of a good size with a litter tray, hay tray with some privacy to snuggle in but not at the expense of the care the rabbits needed.

Do you know if your local centre is caring for sick/badly treated buns who need a lot of care and attention or if they are providing accommodation as a 'between' for buns in recovery who are looking for a new home?

If its the former my gut instinct is to go with whatever the rabbits need to have the TLC medical care they need.
If its the latter I would prefer to give them a hutch/hidey hole option.

My local RSPCA has a system of runs which can be viewed by anyone. The runs contain toys and a good ramp leading to the internal cage that is within the rabbit building.

As many of the rabbits here need a lot of TLC and care the cages are designed to give visibility to the staff caring for the buns but unless someone is clearly in the process of adopting a bun this area is not open to the public.

Some of the little buns I saw had clearly had a rough time and if I was caring for them I know I would prefer to be able to clearly see them rather than keep opening and shutting doors on them.

All the rabbit cages were of a good size with a litter tray, hay tray with some privacy to snuggle in but not at the expense of the care the rabbits needed.

Do you know if your local centre is caring for sick/badly treated buns who need a lot of care and attention or if they are providing accommodation as a 'between' for buns in recovery who are looking for a new home?

If its the former my gut instinct is to go with whatever the rabbits need to have the TLC medical care they need.
If its the latter I would prefer to give them a hutch/hidey hole option.

Thanks for this info.
This rebuild is purely of an adoption area, poorly buns are cared for in the hospital or go to foster where applicable.
I'm specifically interested in adoption areas that use well designed larger enclosures rather than cages, as these provide better examples of husbandry to the public & don't encourage people to think tiny hutches in the home situation are acceptable.

For rabbits ready to be adopted I think its a good idea for those considering adoption to see what good rabbit accomodation should be so they have a realistic idea of what is involved if they take a bun on.

A good hutch/shed and run set up would be fantastic. For those interested in house buns having a bun proofed example room might be helpful. If space is at a premium have the kit needed to keep a house bunny safe so people can see what is involved.

I agree with Sky-O try contacting RSPCA centres that care for rabbits and get advice on the hows and whys of what they do.

Thanks Sky O & Tracybeakerisland for comments.
Yes I will contact directly but sometimes its good to be able to get a little ground level info first. I got a great point of contact through RU for Wood Green & obviously your pics & comments on your RSPCA Sky O are fab, just need a little more ammunition.
As for sample set ups the education centre are in the process of having this covered.
Unfortunately things are very different here with few people thinking that any thing beyond a small hutch with a a single intact rabbit at the bottom of the garden is the way to go. And this is still the view amoungst SPCA Board members.

Back